Electronic music from the GDR

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Electronic music from the GDR

Post by omoroca »

I thought it might be of interest for some of you that there's a wonderful collection of analogue synth music from the 80's available, containing artists that no one knows because they were only famous in the former GDR (east Germany). Their names are Pond, The Key, Reinhard Lakomy, Julius Krebs, Wolfgang Paulke and others. The album's called "Mandarinenträume" and is available for download at Amazon for EUR 8,99, but also on CD or vinyl.

I bought the album, and I like it very much. It's mostly like Jean-Michel Jarre as these GDR guys were probably using the same instruments, but also flavoured with Vangelis, Christian Bruhn, some breakdance and stuff. It's funny how song #14 ("Cassiopeia" by Pond) sonds almost the same as the Blade Runner Theme by Vangelis.

I am really really amazed by this wonderful album! Check it out, they also have listening samples:
http://www.amazon.de/Mandarinentr%C3%A4 ... 6&sr=301-1
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: Electronic music from the GDR

Post by Mordi »

Sounds pretty cool. #14 sure is similar to Vangelis' Blade-Runner theme! :duh:

Edit: And what awesome cover art. :D
Check out my website.