Breakathlon (Daley Thompson's Decathlon remix)

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Breakathlon (Daley Thompson's Decathlon remix)

Post by arkanoiz »

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808590118

Simple breakbeat remix. The original by Martin Galway was so good that I prefered to add other than modidy too much the main "theme". That's my second tune, done with Fruity Studio and QuadraSid... Sure I'm gonna modify it when I'll put it on Nuendo for a VIP mix :lol:
More info on the "I present myself" thread.
Hope someone enjoy!

Edited the project link
Last edited by arkanoiz on 13/04/2008 - 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Breakathlon (Daley Thompson's Decathlon remix)

Post by spacefractal »

I really like this catchy tune.

The only thing I can give feedback on this one, is it maybe too long? But it is just me?
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by arkanoiz »

Thanks spacefractal!
Yeah, I could probably cut some bars here and there. Initially I was afraid it could be too _short_!!! But this is not intended to be danceable so... I think you're right :)
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

I like it, too. The sound isn't very clear, but the general idea is very nice!
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by arkanoiz »

omoroca wrote:I like it, too. The sound isn't very clear, but the general idea is very nice!
For sure the mixing isn't perfect at all, but what do you mean? Have you got some specific advice? Is it maybe too much reverb or something else?
I'm glad that you still like my creature (uh.. creatures, something flashing in my mind) :slap: :sly: :twisted:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Alright, I finally had a listen to this track a few times on repeat. :)

So here goes... I like all the little detailed work on effects and sounds that makes up the background and beat.

The overall piece sounds boomy and as the leads disappear around 2:40 things become a bit more clear and you can
now hear the drum beat and little effects much more clearly, but I can still hear the Hall Effect which is causing the boomy
sound, when other instruments are playing in the mix.

I would like to hear the drum section and effects clearly throughout the entire piece.

Now as you mentioned you're self its not really supposed to be a dance song, so I would work with the arrangement and reduce it down to 3:30-4:00.

There are more qualified people here that can give you better advice, I'm just letting you know, what my ears are telling me.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by arkanoiz »

Analog-X thanks for your attention listening. That's important to know the things we're talking about!
Have to agree to all the issues you mentioned.
Have to properly build up the mix from scratch and set a manageble reverb.
You have to know that nearly all the instruments go straight in the master track (bass drum, snare, hats included!!! :bash: ). I putted in separate tracks only effected instruments (hahah), simply because I didn't know that every instrument have to lay on a separate track!!! All FXs are inserted (no sends), EQ was done (and not done) without knowing nothing about frequencies (and audio in general). Compression/limiting same story... I put a compressor on the master track too, because all the sound was clipping like a neuro circus :nonono: So, now you know the real story...
In spite of all I still like the tune so I thought a good idea to post it here to you hungry guys :mrgreen:
But certainly I'll rework out all when I have some time, and try to put it on RKO (I'm not sure they would accept this one).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

The Tune is great no doubt and you have a great framework to sculpt, you are also correct about minding frequencies and proper EQ, I'm learning that myself at the moment.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Nice entry, Arkanoiz! :)
All is lost.
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

same boat as I was in, when I made my first remix which I just try again to submission. I got it rejected first time, but if you listen to v1 and the newest v10 of that song, it a big defficent around the mixer (and a bit of help).

Otherwice to your song:
I can not critic any thing on the mixer, because I used headphone to.

Maybe the part 3 with the drums part might-be a few parts for long, or the 4 part after the drums might-be not needed at all. It something here I guess its to long.

The first 2 parts with melodi is here I think have a good mood and good length.

I do need to listen again before I say anything wrong.

Again, I really like the style and idea of it. Nice work.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

arkanoiz wrote:
omoroca wrote:I like it, too. The sound isn't very clear, but the general idea is very nice!
For sure the mixing isn't perfect at all, but what do you mean? Have you got some specific advice? Is it maybe too much reverb or something else?
I'm glad that you still like my creature (uh.. creatures, something flashing in my mind) :slap: :sly: :twisted:
Unfortunately, I cannot put my finger on what exactly it is. "Doesn't sound very clear" is the closest description I can give you. I'm not a remixer, you know. In most cases, I can just tell you what I feel when I hear it, not what you should technically change.

But it's not the reverb, I can say that for sure. :wink:
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by arkanoiz »

Analog-X wrote:The Tune is great no doubt and you have a great framework to sculpt, you are also correct about minding frequencies and proper EQ, I'm learning that myself at the moment.
Yeah that's the pain in working with audio.. :duh:
But I'm starting enjoing it too :)

x Spacefractal - Yes I think I will rearrange all the tune. I'm not sure on _exactly_ you're trying to say but.. I think I catched some of the meaning ;) [OT where are you from? sorry for curiosity, I know my italo-english is far from being perfect too :P ]
omoroca wrote:In most cases, I can just tell you what I feel when I hear it, not what you should technically change.

But it's not the reverb, I can say that for sure.
Oh, that's important too. Listener approach to music can be very different. I'm looking for this type of feedback too. That's it: audio geeks often end up concentrating only on the technical details but in the end.. that's music not a short circuit 8) So.. if you want to tell me _which_ feelings the tune inspires, that would be very inspiring to me :mrgreen:
About the reverb: that's difficult because I like the effect that produce but it's messing up my freq a lot so I'll try to domate it :whip:
Thanks to everybody for apreciacion (Vosla too).
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

Hehe, you got me: I from Denmark, and of course my english is far from perfect.

I have listen the tune again.... My previous may not been the best posts and easyli been misforstood. Forget that post.

Instead I trying here again:

I just think the part around from 1:45 to 2:45 do not need and go directly the drum solos. Since I think it to long because the melody is played 3 times without to much variation, and this one would help very much.

This is just what I think.

But still I do like the style and idea of this tune.
arkanoiz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by arkanoiz »

spacefractal wrote: and this one would help very much.
Sorry that is the only thing that I didn't catch. Then I can reply to your full post.
Now I go out to see Black Sun Empire, ciao ciao..

:beavis: :rock: :rock: :beer: :clap: :fear: :doctor: :hug: :help: :sly: :hooray:
spacefractal
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by spacefractal »

I just said it would help, if you made these change (I think)...

But dont change the style or instruments used in this song. I like them as they are. Its only the length I talk about.