New Amiga Mp3 site, Original tunes as Mp3

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
chrisnz

New Amiga Mp3 site, Original tunes as Mp3

Post by chrisnz »

Hi people, Great amiga site by the way.

Just wanted you amiga fans to know that I have a section of my site that has classic amiga tunes rehashed into Mp3s. The site also has a quick preview feature first, before you download the track. More Mp3s will be added when I get the time.

My sites here below, enjoy!

http://chrisnz.com/amiga-music-mp3s/ Amiga Mp3s Regards Chris [url]http ... usic-mp3s/[/url]
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Nice! Do you take requests? If so, "Gods" and "Speedball II" would be nice to see and hear!
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Populous!
(Btw: You should record them mono, not stereo!)
chrisnz

Post by chrisnz »

Romeo Knight wrote:Populous!
(Btw: You should record them mono, not stereo!)

Requests are noted and when i have time i will try. But will add those games to my grwning list.

Why Mono

amiga has 4 Channel 8-bit Stereo sound
kufi
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by kufi »

Because the 100% stereo separation of the amiga sounds terrible if you are using headphones. But i also think that mono would go a step too far, some mixing between the two channels would be enough.

EDIT: i should say that, at least for me, the main use of your site would be to quickly grab some amiga-tunes for my MD-player without having the hassle of converting them to mp3 myself. And i have to say the quality of what i have heard is very good, except the mentioned fact that the music is in full stereo. I know, that is how the amiga does output it, but if you are using headphones then you hear something completely different in each ear, and that freaks out my brain :)
chrisnz

Post by chrisnz »

I was after a near perfect Mp3 of the original, some tracks i have tweaked. For example blood money, which ther is the orignal and my tweaked version to download.

But I think in soundforge I can save as joint stereo. Would solve that problem.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

kufi wrote: I know, that is how the amiga does output it, but if you are using headphones then you hear something completely different in each ear, and that freaks out my brain :)
I'd add that this is already annoying on a normal speaker setup.
It's just not the way it's meant to be listened to.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I think it would be a shame to go completely mono, somewhere inbetween is better.

Nice flash preview player!
chrisnz

Post by chrisnz »

Turrican 2 just uploaded & Speed Ball 2 !!!!

Edit: Btw: Try speed ball 2 its joint stereo.....

http://chrisnz.com/amiga-music-mp3s/

Enjoy, More to follow.....
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

exoskeleton wrote:I think it would be a shame to go completely mono, somewhere inbetween is better.
Why? Because 2 is more than 1?
I prefer instruments having a distinct position (even if it's all center) rather than
- constantly being left or right out of balance
- jumping between left and right randomly
- not being mixed together properly like it has been supposed to be by the composer

Fact is: The AMIGA never had a stereo output. It has 4 channel audio hard-wired in pairs to 2 mono outputs. Real stereo provides free panoramic routing, that's all the difference.
Sorry for getting loud. :wink:

Dr. R. Knight general's warning: Quitting Listening Stereo On AMIGA-Mods Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Hearing
kufi
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by kufi »

Romeo Knight wrote: - jumping between left and right randomly
Believe it or not, i kinda like this "random" jumping :) And in most cases it seems to be the effect the composer wanted. You are right about the Amiga not being able to actually "position" the individual voices between the channels, but this is how the hardware works, and is something to take into account when creating music on the amiga.

But in the end it is a matter of personal preference anyway ;) And i understand that you as a musician have a different point of view about how things should sound (and probably a lot more experience too) than a techno-geek like me :)
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I'm just saying that I prefer to hear some level of stereo. I don't presume to know whether composer X was happy about the mxing or not. But its not my choice to make. :)
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

I've been recording a LOT of music directly from the Amiga recently for my next Podcast (which I'm still working on - when life isn't getting in the way) and in order to make it headphone friendly found that mixing around 30% (or 40%) of the left channel into the right and vice versa works a treat. You still get the stereo effect but the music sounds "right" in headphones ... Maybe you could try that for your site?
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
chrisnz

Post by chrisnz »

Thanks, will give it a go. Will add a few more tracks soon to, for download. In the next hour
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by soren_ladegaard »

Kenz wrote:I've been recording a LOT of music directly from the Amiga recently for my next Podcast (which I'm still working on - when life isn't getting in the way) and in order to make it headphone friendly found that mixing around 30% (or 40%) of the left channel into the right and vice versa works a treat. You still get the stereo effect but the music sounds "right" in headphones ... Maybe you could try that for your site?
Are the recordings going to be available on CD? I'm asking because module players on the Mac leaves alot to be desired.