the shocking truth

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
_tim_forsyth

the shocking truth

Post by _tim_forsyth »

Hey! Moi!

Its strange how things turn up on the net when you least expect them. For example, a friend of mine recorded a video of him accelerating to 150mph in his skyline and somehow (we don't know how) it turned up the other week on google video.

Rather like this incident, all my old mods from my amiga days have somehow ended up on the net. I sold my A1200 with (350Mb wow!) hard drive in 1996 and with it, all my mods were gone. Wasn't too bothered at the time, but some kind soul (I suspect it might be crash! _nvx) has put them up.

What is interesting is the c64 covers I did around 1989/1990 with those awful sound disks that endlessly circulated with noisetracker. I'm only posting this for remeniscey purposes - remember when you did your fist few amiga mods? :)

http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?detai ... &view=6994

shocking...
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Ha ! Don't get started on Noise tracker. I must admit that I was an Sonix man until I found out that Tracker modules were better at putting on intros and demos.

I still have my old Amiga 1200 with 1gig HDD ! All my old tunes are on there, but the old boy appears weary with age now. That's why I took the decision to record all of my tracker mods as WAV files many moons ago.

Listening to them now I can hear exactly what Tim is talking about regarding the cheesy samples (remember Shamus - every bugger used to use it !!!!) - but it's a lot of fun to hear the old stuff I did. Though I only listen to them from time to time, I still glean enermous satisfaction from hearing them. Warm memories indeed

Tim - I can imagine you've been wallowing in a bit of nostalgia listening to your old tracks. If I were you I'd make a point of storing them safely for a rainy day.
It's nice to hear your good news about re-discovering the tracks anyway.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

That brings back memories of playing a little with protracker. Doing a couple of mods. Storing them on disks in some file system (forgot which, amifilesafe?) along with a hyperlinked document with AREXX macros to fire up deliplayer and play them and then sending them the snail way to a friend. Later some AMOS stuff. But lost now anyway. Those were the days...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I remember discovering Sound Tracker with those ST-00 to ST-xx Sample Diskettes.

I was only able to get Disks 00 to 06. It was very hard to get a hold of such things in Canada, all the cool stuff was happening over in Europe.

I was in contact with a Member of "Star Frontiers" from Holland which later on they changed their name to something else I forget. But he was able to give me some neat stuff. I didnt have much to exchange in return just some minor stuff. Remember this is the early 2400 baud modem days, it was too expensive to Modem stuff to Europe, so Mailing Diskettes was the cheap way.

I remember their slogan was "Star Frontiers - Light Years Ahead"
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Analog-X wrote:Remember this is the early 2400 baud modem days, it was too expensive to Modem stuff to Europe, so Mailing Diskettes was the cheap way.
One should never underestimate the bandwidth capacity of a Volkswagen with a trunk-load of floppy disks. :D
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Try connecting Denmark -> Australia with 2400 baud. Why that cost a fortune. Unfortunately for me. :oops: Was a cool era though, "surfing" BBS'.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I remember my first phone line was $11 Canadian a Month and that was Pulse only. Than it cost an extra $2 for tone so I was paying $13 a month which aint to bad. Considering some countrys people were paying per minute.

I manged to get a hold of some l33t groups in germany and denmark but they wanted me to ship to them things like 2400 Baud Modems in exchange for things like Demo Source code etc.. which was silly considering 2400 Baud Modems were anywhere from $250-$300 each.

I lost my entire 60MB Mod Collection when my 80MB Seagate drive died in my Amiga.

Which included many Mods that I ripped from Demos and Games like "Shadow of the Beast" & "Gods" I sometimes prefered to listen to these alone without having to play the games.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Nickenstien
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Nickenstien »

I recently found a load of floppy disks in the attick which had a load of AMOS games I coded many moons ago. The finest of which was a top-down racing game called "Inferno Engine" in which you raced old knackered 3-wheeler cars cars around scrap-yards (spookily like scrap-heap challenge, which came many many years later). parts would keep falling off your cars and they would explode on the slightest collision. So I fired up the old amiga (after I eventualy found the TV-Modulator) and gave it a play. I was totaly astonished by just how playible and fun it was! I write commercial games now, but nothing I have done in recent is half as much fun, i think i need to do a modern version :D
stuff and that and things with bits on it!
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Ha! Tell me about it. I paid 17 DKR per minute in the extreme case. I didn't get access to some 1337 US BBS due to a 9000 baud threshold and my 14400 baud modem was broken.

I also happened to loose my large collection of mods when my Maxtor harddrive decided to go on a permanent strike. Luckily we have Amiga Module Preservation archive, Modland FTP, etc. There are still a couple of my favourite demo mods I haven't ripped. An AGOA demo song and some other demo I can't even remember the group of. :( Better get back to searching for that AGOA demo...