SIDPLAY/Mac 3.4 released!

For those who want to post remixes from other platforms or show off their original work. Post them here!
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

SIDPLAY/Mac 3.4 released!

Post by mrsid »

Hi there!

I'm proud to let you know that SIDPLAY 3.4 has finally been released.
This version add support for Intel-based Macs (Universal Binary) and
integrates Spotlight search on Mac OS X 10.4. A Spotlight plug-in is
built into SIDPLAY, allowing you not only to search but also to create
smart folders of SID files. To round this off, it also includes a
bunch of bug fixes and small usability improvements.

You can find the new version at the usual location:
http://www.sidmusic.org/sidplay/mac/

The new version of SIDPlug and other goodies will follow soon.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Andreas
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Wow - this thing actually makes me want to buy a Mac! :shock:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mrsid »

But you probably haven't seen this yet:

http://www.tammura.at/~sid/sidplay/sidp ... tlight.mov

:)
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Somebody port it to Windows NOW!!!
DJ Skitz
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

skitz wrote:Somebody port it to Windows NOW!!!
I was going to post the same thing. :)
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Just noticed the source code... maybe I'll have a look:D
DJ Skitz
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mrsid »

Don't waste your time. If there would be a feasible way to do that, I would've done it a long time ago.
It's very much platform-specific code.
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

mrsid wrote:Don't waste your time. If there would be a feasible way to do that, I would've done it a long time ago.
It's very much platform-specific code.
Ok, so what is the cheapest Mac I can buy in the UK then :lol: - This thing just looks absolutely magnificant and I am upset there is nothing like it on the PC :(
DJ Skitz
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mrsid »

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

But of course you can also download some illegal patches and install Mac OS X on your PC. I can't recommend that though, the experience is not quite the same...
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: SIDPLAY/Mac 3.4 released!

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

mrsid wrote:I'm proud to let you know that SIDPLAY 3.4 has finally been released.
Kickass work, Andreas. I've lusted for Spotlight integration in SIDPlay/X ever since I first tried it. And now I know why. :D

And thanks for including the "copy path" feature I suggested.

I've got a couple of suggestions though:

1) Have a "'Copy path' is relative to the HVSC base dir" option in preferences (like in SIDPlay/W)

2) The "copy path" feature doesn't work when a SID is launched from a system-wide Spotlight search or when clicking a SID file in Finder.

3) Don't show the info window when SIDPlay is launched (or make it a user preference). I know I can just use Command+W to close it, but it annoys me that I have to do it every time I start the app as the info window just gets in the way when I want to browse through the HVSC.

Other than that ... best release EVER. Keep up the excellent work. :D
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

skitz wrote:Ok, so what is the cheapest Mac I can buy in the UK then :lol: - This thing just looks absolutely magnificant and I am upset there is nothing like it on the PC :(
The new Intel-based Mac Mini retails for 449 pounds. Waz told me earlier that he's spotted the PowerPC ones on sale for around 350 pounds, so it looks like you're not the only one thinking about getting one. I borrowed a PPC Mac Mini from the office shortly after its release, and its a lovely little box.

What that movie doesn't show is that you can do a search from anywhere within the operating system. So while typing this response on my PowerBook I just hit Command+spacebar, typed in "Hewson", scrolled down to the Firelord SID, hit enter to launch it in SIDPlay/X, and hit Alt+Tab to get back to the browser.

Life doesn't get much better than this. :D
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mrsid »

There's a small difference if you do it that way. If you use the system-wide Spotlight search, it will search through all .sid files on your harddisk. If you have multiple copies of the HVSC lying around, you'll get multiple results for your search.
It will also search all other files on your machine, which could make all your secret Scientology documents show up, even if you just wanted to find some Hubbard sids. :)

SIDPLAY on the other hand searches in the specified HVSC only, which is also much quicker (searching globally is an option in the prefs).
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

mrsid wrote:There's a small difference if you do it that way. If you use the system-wide Spotlight search, it will search through all .sid files on your harddisk. If you have multiple copies of the HVSC lying around, you'll get multiple results for your search.
Not a problem, because I only have the latest HVSC installed. If I wanted to keep the old versions lying around (not that I can see why I'd want that :)) I would just add the old ones to Spotlights do-not-search-these-folders list.
mrsid wrote:It will also search all other files on your machine, which could make all your secret Scientology documents show up, even if you just wanted to find some Hubbard sids. :)

SIDPLAY on the other hand searches in the specified HVSC only, which is also much quicker (searching globally is an option in the prefs).
No problem either. I have set Spotlight to list music before documents, so Maestro Hubbard pops up before con-artist Hubbard. And I never ever want to search for the latter. EVER. :D

Plus with Spotlights system-wide search being so amazingly fast already, I don't need the additional speed increase.

Anyway, that's just my way of using OS X. Doesn't really have anything to do with SIDPlay/X. So to get back on topic: Any chance of those "Copy path" suggestions making it into the next release? ;)
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mrsid »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Any chance of those "Copy path" suggestions making it into the next release? ;)
I've put a Paypal donate button on the SIDPLAY webpage now... :)
mrsid
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mrsid »

I've also released the SIDPlug update now.

To quote from my webpage:
"The new version of the browser plug-in includes support for Intel-based Macs. But the download is also highly recommended for PowerPC users, since the plug-in has been completely rewritten from scratch and all known crash bugs have been fixed. Also includes some enhancements from SIDPLAY (the new oscilloscope rendering), and clicking into the plug-in area pauses the music.
It has been tested on Safari, Firefox and Camino. Support for Camino is PowerPC-only, as a bug in Camino for Intel currently prevents SIDPlug from working correctly.
Support for Internet Explorer has been dropped."