The Story of a smoker!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

The Story of a smoker!

Post by tas »

As many of you will know and some of our distant friends on other shores may as yet not know but smoking in public places will become illegal from Summer 2007 in England.

Its something i've kept under wraps but as soon as i heard that a vote was to placed by the Uk Government that i knew the result would lead to an outright ban!

The decision i had to make wasn't hard.. i was to 1) Give up smoking or 2) give up drinking in pubs as as a smoker the two very much come hand in hand.

The decision i made was to STOP smoking. The decision to stop was made a few month ago as i didn't think i could kick it! infact i was so sure i couldn't kick the habit that this is the first time i've come out with it.

I'm now smoke free for 2 month and boy it fooking hurts like shite! it's easier now but every day i still feel a need for a quick cig.

I've always been aware of the money it costs and that never stopped me, i've always been aware that i'm slowly killing myself and that never stopped me but knowing that i am soon to become nothing more than a social outcast for what i did was indeed a problem and personally being classed in a simular way as nothing more than a druggy caused me to really re-think the matter.

Smoking is out in England and so am i! two months free of it too and you know.. I honestly didn't think i could do it!
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Congrats man!

You're really on your way. Strong work! :D

Hang in there! 8)

Oh, and you forgot that smokers smell like poo. You just earned yourself a better aura. :mrgreen:
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
-------------------------------------------------------
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Thanks buddy!

Sorry i've not been in touch lately pal.. Will try to catch you soon!
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Hang in there tas, it'll all be worth it in the end I promise you. No more blue hazy layer at eye level... no more scraping yellow stains off of bathroom tiles..... more breath in your lungs, and wheezing.

Hang tough brotha' and well done thus far, it's a very tough thing you're doing. they say it's easier to go cold on drugs than to stop smoking. Support here when needed :)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

A good decision Neil, hope you stick to it!

The figures are frightening - smoke 20 a day for the next 20 years and it will cost you over £30,000!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Good job, Tas! Keep it up!

Your economy and your lungs will thanks you for it. And not only that, think of it this way:
The less money you spend on fags, the more you can spend on beer!

It's excellent! Of course, then the alcohol will kill you instead of the smoking...so...yeah...maybe you should spend the money on carrots instead or something...
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Grats mate, proud of ya!!!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

Good on yer, Tas! A tall mountain that I'm looking to climb this year as well.
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I was amazed that the law passed the two houses but I think your health (and your purse) will welcome this.

Congrats for being 'clean' so long and fingers crossed that it will keep that way, Tas!

Hmm, what a strange imagination: an english pub without a military grade smoke screen? I guess that morale will take some time to recuperate in the pubs...
All is lost.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

gratz neil.. i decided to quit the other last year, ive not had a drop of alcahol for nearly a year :o and have no craving for it what so ever, i only ever smoked no more than 10 a day so even this law isnt going to bother me very much.. but you sir i am proud of :)
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

well done.
i escaped the evil weed 2 and a half years ago. (i didnt have much choice .. i was in hospital, and the nurses wouldnt give me any)

the first month is the worst.
if you get past that, the actual physical need is beaten, its just mental cravings you have after that.
one of the worst things is not having anything to do with your hands. buy some lollys (chewy ones or hard ones) because you get the hand to mouth movement that you are used to if you have been smoking for a while (i smoked for 18 years).

keep it up, you will feel 1000 times better for it.
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

I almost lost a lung while travelling though Europe. I was not used to all the smoking.
I think I have suck down some car exhaust to get used to smoking in Europe next time I visit.
tas wrote:smoking in public places will become illegal from Summer 2007 in England.
We have had strong anti-smoking laws here since I was a kid, combined with a strong anti-smoking message too. Currently we have nothing in place that tough as "no smoking in public places" is still allowed in open air areas here. However I'm looking forward to when more smoking is banned more mostly due to the mess of the butts on the beaches and on the streets. Is kinda odd that the latest stats say that Aussie men are quiting and not taking up the habbit more so than the women.

Neil, they say that quiting long-term smokers experience new taste and smelling sensations too.

Also hows the new pub openning hours going? It was rather silly closing the Brighton pub at 10pm.
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

The licensing law bill went through, but the expected flood of applications was a trickle, and even the larger chains seem to be taking a softly-softly approach. (For instance, in the small town I live in, which has a population of around 25,000, there are something like five or six bars/pubs on the high street, but even the Wetherspoon only extended its opening time by one hour.) Supermarkets are the main applications, because the large 24/7 stores want to sell alcohol around the clock.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

ya it was a bit of a damp squib that one.. i can only think of 1 that extended its hours (brannigans) the rest pretty much stayed as they are.

course nightclubs here are now open till 5am which is good for the youngsters i guess ^^
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

According to statistics the actual drunken bad behaviour/violence figures have dropped and by a fair bit too. Doncaster has always had long hour drinking anyway.. In the Town Centre it's open til 2am in the majority of pubs even before the legislation. I've seen no increase in opening hours as yet. But in Donny they probably didn't need to be.

Thanks your your kind words all.. Went out last night in a smokey pub and the urge was terrific... Apart from getting coughs and the bad stuff clearing my body which btw is aweful! I'm slowly getting there.. I had a peach last night and couldn't believe how nice it tasted!

LOL, probably become a fat bastard now!

:lol: