Knucklebusters (Sidologie)

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Knucklebusters (Sidologie)

Post by Chris Abbott »

38% after 28 votes? The track of which Rob said it was exactly what he was thinking of when he wrote it?? A highlight of the album?

??? What are the people thinking??

Jeez. He should have done it 80s style with flashing lights and sparkly synths, as is the current popular vogue!

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Andreas Wallström
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Andreas Wallström »

I love the original track, but on Marcel's CD, it's the weakest track if you ask me. The guitars are killing my ears. I'm sure it would be lots different if a real guitarist played.
the_JinX
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by the_JinX »

I really like it..

But I also like the "18 minute" version of Tomsk..

I think some people get lost in the mechanical repetative nature of the tune..
But I agree, 38% is really really bad..
(And to think I voted + for this tune atleast twice this month)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

www.c64hq.com wrote:I love the original track, but on Marcel's CD, it's the weakest track if you ask me. The guitars are killing my ears. I'm sure it would be lots different if a real guitarist played.
Yeah, you'd have a lot less alive guitarists. There's no guitarist in this scene that could do that lead properly, with bends and everything without killing himself. That lead needs to be the SID lead in another form. Anything else is just half-assed with a piece as seminal as Knucklebusters.

I think the lead does what it's supposed to: replicate the screaming raw nature of the original SID, pitch bends and all with a sound raw enough to do it justice. It's not supposed to be a real guitar performance. Though if it was recorded in 2005, I think it would have been a lot grittier, thanks to stuff like guitar rig. Having said that, due to a miscommunication between myself and Marcel, that bit didn't come out quite as planned.

I think there's still a big role in remixes for keeping the original performance parameters of the SID where it's essential. Me, personally, I don't enjoy real performances of SID leads where the tune has been changed unnecessarily, or where the performance (even though live) doesn't come close to the virtuosity of the original. A Rob Hubbard vibrato gives me equally wibbly feelings. Sometimes live is not best, especially when we're at heart dealing with avant garde synth music.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Btw is this SlayRadio voting? Never figured out how to vote on songs actually :p

Still the rating is criminal... considering I think it's the best Knucklebusters mix done and the best thing on Marcel's album. I guess we're just at opposite ends there Andreas ;)
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Mayhem wrote:Btw is this SlayRadio voting? Never figured out how to vote on songs actually :p
DUH !
quite easy, go to http://www.slayradio.org, and click on the red cross to vote "bad", or on the green checkmark to vote "good". You don't even have to log in.
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

I'm among those who loves this track. It's like a cool fuckin rollercoaster, it just gets faster and faster and better and better! "Oh, here comes that part, weeee!" :lol:

Anyways, shame on you people
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Chris Abbott wrote:There's no guitarist in this scene that could do that lead properly, with bends and everything without killing himself.
Give me just two years! :wink:
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Chris Abbott wrote:There's no guitarist in this scene that could do that lead properly, with bends and everything without killing himself.
Romeo Knight wrote: Give me just two years! :wink:
Plenty of time to plan your funeral, then. :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
-------------------------------------------------------
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

I could pretty much listen to this track on a permanent loop, its brilliant, mind you I am saying that as Marcel Donne fanboy ;)
the_JinX
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by the_JinX »

Well atleast it's at 50% again..
With 64 votes..
leoni
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by leoni »

Romeo Knight wrote:
Give me just two years! :wink:
YAY!! Only 1 year to go :wink:
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

leoni wrote:
Romeo Knight wrote: Give me just two years! :wink:
YAY!! Only 1 year to go :wink:
Hey! I didn't say I started yet! :)
But it's almost decided - I'll leave a comment when you'll allowed to start counting.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Its all just personal opinion, moonlight sonata could easily be the greatest piece of music ever written but how many people like it?.

up voting someones tune just because the original artist say's its exactly how it should have sounded makes no sense to me whatsoever, so what? im sure beethoven if he could have heard the billions of incarnations of his piece of music would eventually point at one and say "yeah thats it!" but thats not going to make those that don't enjoy that particular tune like it anymore.

as long as marcel is happy with it then brilliant thats the way it should be, in the end musicians "should" write music for themselves and fuck what the masses think, theres always one who likes it and one who won't.

it simply wasn't written for them, not the end of the world.
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by FunkyM »

Knucklebusters, Man, that tune is a Runaway Train, they only get the brakes on with that final section, and then it's a hell of a bump when they hit the station!!!

I likes it! :) Even the screechy nature of Marcel's Lead seems to add to its out-of-control ambience...
FMI - Creators of Funky Monkey, Cozy Cat, and NEW! Thunder Horse!

Try our products today, you'll really Notice the difference!