New Editorials

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

New Editorials

Post by tom »

... are great this month :wink:

@ chris:

yeah... Pop-Music-Industry... what a mess ... i am one of those victims

:D

@ neil:

great new image by the way ... and yes , we're gettin' older and indeed
i find myself less active on this website , which is a pity to be honest.
But i can't find time to remix anything at the moment ...
Posting "happy birthdays" is one of the bigger parts that i do nowadays here
at remix64.com :wink:

well.... at least i try to visit remix64 at a daily basis :D

cheers,
TOM:::...
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Take a step back; can you imagine musicians at the age of 50 still remixing? Seems highly unlikely to me, sure there’ll always be some of us who will, but how many?

Basically, all this we see around us will vanish in time. Could I be wrong?
Hmmm... goodness Neil, that does sound depressing. 8) Whilst I have to agree on a certain level with our view, and indeed with Thomas' too, matching the 32/33 age group you mention, I have to say: Take it easy guys. It's nothin to worry about really. These feelings come and go, and to be totally honest, I've had them even at the age of 18. I recall sitting around with my best friend, playing games on the 64 or Amiga and wondering how long this will last. Honestly. :roll:

And then, with 21 or so, I had an A1200 with HD (whooo!) and had tons of games and played: Nothing. And I remember thinking: `I knew it! What a shame...´ Instead, I played with my girl, did `serious´ stuff and started working/studying et al. Then, at 25 or so, I got back into gaming like a madman, collecting consoles, games and magazines. No idea where it came from, but it was like a rebirth. And it rejuvenated my life. Then, at around 28, I again focussed on my work, my `grown-up´ life and family & friends. Today, I'm moving house, hosting international meetings while at the same time, I remix ST music for a CD, write a book on video games and play Resident Evil 4 to the brink of dawn (nice hidden pun eh?).

To cut a long story short: I don't miss anything. Sure, the interest in remixing, the `good 'ol days´ and playing games wanes every now and again - but it sure as hell returns. I'm perfectly happy to go through these phases - being `grown up´ and a `big kid´ at the same time. I'm just grateful to have these interests to accompany me throghout my life - many of my friends or relatives only have their work and the couch. Aren't we glad we don't?

That said, happy remixing, playing, working and errr.. just living!
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Rafael Dyll wrote:I'm just grateful to have these interests to accompany me throghout my life
Isn't this really what it all boils down to?
Having something else to do instead of just work? A refuge from life, escape from reality.
What "normal" people do is to see a flick, listen to a CD, play a game.

They are essensially consumers, whilst our escape from reality often results in the things that other people escape into - Our passion for music.

This in turn is often focused on things that has an emotional attachment to us, which is the machines we used when we were younger.

I myself am grateful for what the c64 has done for me - A lot a friends in various parts of the world, well payed job and a very giving community.
My way of giving back to the community is to run things like c64.org and slayradio.org.

Will it end at some point?
Well, it will probably not be the same as it has been. Pretty sure about that, but end? Nah. Don't think so.
We're too stubborn to let a good thing go.

Oh, and this:
From Editorial wrote:Take a step back; can you imagine musicians at the age of 50 still remixing?
Who would have thought the Rolling Stones would still be at it? ;>
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Who would have thought we'd be listening to computer music from the 80s in our thirties? We're in new territory all the time.

Chris
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Chris Abbott wrote:Who would have thought we'd be listening to computer music from the 80s in our thirties? We're in new territory all the time.
My point exactly - We'll still be here, but hopefully doing something new. =)
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Dinos are still interesting. :oops:
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

yeah, both editorial from me and Chris are a bit depressing.. Will try to make a lighter hearted one next month before you all go and comit suicide ;)
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Tas wrote:... before you all go and comit suicide ;)
hey... don't ya know .. i'm already dead (i am over 30) :lol:
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I've been accused of being dead myself at times ;)
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Nice editorials, though Tas' has a distinct "it's all going to end, armageddon is comming, there is no escape, the scene will be wiped out"-kind-of-feel to it. :lol: Hey it may be true but in the future there'll be retro flashbacks as it becomes ever harder to come up with something original. But sure, we'll all be dead by then. ;)