Today's Amigas

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Today's Amigas

Post by Matrix »

Have you seen the state of todays Amiga's ? What they can do, how they look.... heres a screenie of OS4 running on an AmigaONE ... i almost shat my pants - I WANT ONE !!!

http://amigaworld.net/modules/myalbum/photos/140.jpg

(edit)
Never mind, i just saw the price....
Just over 500 quid for:

-=-=-=-=-

A mini ITX form factor version of the A1 PPC motherboard. Includes on board sound, Radeon graphics and RAM.

* - Mini-ITX form factor
* - Fan cooled PPC 750 series 800MHz processor, mounted via Mega-array socket
* - 256MB SODIMM included
* - 1 PCI slot
* - 3COM 10/100 ethernet controller
* - Integrated VIA 686B ATA100 controller, 40 & 44 way headers
* - 6-channel (5.1) surround sound (CMI8738)
* - Radeon 7000 onboard with 32MB Video RAM

Price includes OS4 Pre-release (which will be upgradeable on-line to OS4.0 OEM via downloads from the Hyperion Entertainment website as updates are made available) and delivery upgrade to Royal Mail Special Delivery.

-=-=-=-=-

Not exactly inspiring is it..... for the cash..... compared to what you can get pc wise of that cash...... and, well, emulate an amiga....... feel like ive been kicked in the balls :cry: what ARE they trying to do ?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

the very same they try to do since 1992: raise deads.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

DHS wrote:the very same they try to do since 1992: raise deads.
(irony)
Exclusive deads.
Deads nobody else has.
If you think handing out horrible sums of cash for a Mac is leet, think again.
Be a real snob and buy your very own dead...errr...Amiga and show that you can ruin yourself in style.

(/irony)

Don't get me wrong, I still love my A500 but that mini is expensive. DAMN EXPENSIVE! Even if I could fart out gold coins...No.
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Well this is it Vosla, thats JUST the motherboard !! you pay extra for a monitor, case, power supply, keyboard, mouse etc etc... If its power was upto modern pc chips then ya maybe.... but calling it a POWER PC at under a gig in todays market is just plain misleading imho.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

WinUAE on a decent PC satisfies my Amiga lust completely. Funny to run the amiga port of Doom on an emulator running on a PC. :D
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Wonder if WinUAE can run OS4 yet ...... if it can, whats the point of buying an AmigaONE ? or a PPC Amiga
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Expensive Macs? You kidding?

Post by Rafael Dyll »

About expensive macs:

Apple released info on the Mac Mini yesterday. it's all in the media. Firewire, 2xUSB, MacOS X, 1.4 GHz G4 et al and the size of a CD box (ok, a little bigger) for under EUR 500 (484 in Germany in fact). Mine is ordered.

Extras such as monitor, keyboard are not included, but that's minimal costs to say the least.

Also, the complete minitor-inclusive eMac for 749 EUR is also a bargain.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Perfect internet/office machine, a total uninteresting one for everybody else.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

The Mac Jonathan..... now there was an interesting Mac...... modular boltons, black PS2 styling with blue/red LED's. Macs are kinda cool for DTP and Midi.... nothing else on them really strikes me.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Well, at that price one could buy the minimac, the big problem is with expandability, a factor totally absent in the new machine.

so, it can be good for the guy who need a compact machine easy to use to navigate the net or to do office tasks.

everybody else muct check for other machines.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Expensive Macs? You kidding?

Post by sumppi »

Rafael Dyll wrote:Apple released info on the Mac Mini yesterday. it's all in the media. Firewire, 2xUSB, MacOS X, 1.4 GHz G4 et al and the size of a CD box (ok, a little bigger) for under EUR 500 (484 in Germany in fact). Mine is ordered.
As is mine, just perfect for mixed use DVR and home server. After living with Macs through the designer era and the elitist era, tuesday's show of consumer era Apple was a bit confusing ;)

Sumppi
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Matrix wrote:The Mac Jonathan..... now there was an interesting Mac...... modular boltons, black PS2 styling with blue/red LED's. Macs are kinda cool for DTP and Midi.... nothing else on them really strikes me.
http://kaunis.to/archive/stuff/jonathan/jonathan.jpg
http://kaunis.to/archive/stuff/jonathan/teksti.gif

Scanned those years ago from the Apple Design book, kinda interesting concept. BTW, I just got five DVDs worth of Apple history in mail: ads, tutorials, awful corporate stuff, interviews etc. Rocks! :D

Sumppi
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

DHS wrote:Well, at that price one could buy the minimac, the big problem is with expandability, a factor totally absent in the new machine.
With Firewire and USB in the back it's pretty much like laptop in that way: get a decent Firewire audio I/O (the 01X for example) and either of the Firewire Powercores and you're pretty set for audio stuff for example.

Besides, even Apple knows it's not targeted to replace the build-your-own-house-of-cards PC. That's why they suggest using KVM switch with it on the Mac Mini site. The first shot is free (or rather just cheaper this time) and when you get hooked the next one comes with a heftier pricetag ;)

Sumppi
fnordpojk
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by fnordpojk »

Rafael Dyll wrote:Apple released info on the Mac Mini yesterday.
It's incredibly cute, and very handy.

Me and Slaygon ordered one each. ;)
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

fnordpojk wrote:
Rafael Dyll wrote:Apple released info on the Mac Mini yesterday.
It's incredibly cute, and very handy.

Me and Slaygon ordered one each. ;)
I want one too. No idea why, though. Except of course that it's a cheap way to try out OS X. :D