Stop commenting on comments in the shout-box!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Stop commenting on comments in the shout-box!

Post by Makke »

The very same subject has been up before, but about people commenting on other reviews in their reviews. I don't know if it's just me, but I'm getting tired of reading comments on comments in the shout-box function for tunes. That's what the forum is for! If you don't like how some people vote, take it up here (or preferably not at all, because such threads are usually endless and pointless since everyone has their own opinion, and rightfully so, even if we all know that they are wrong ;) )!

Right...that's all I had to say really.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I don't like the way you said that. In particular, I thought your use of subordinate clauses was way overdone, and the EQ on your verbs reminded me of a Bangkok Whorehouse.

Plus, you're ugly.

:wink:

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

yes, can't agree more with makke.

It's been well publicised on the boards about this many times, maybe the persons who do this commenting on commenting don't participate on the boards and maybe are unaware of the rule.

Maybe a few written guidelines on the shoutbox might help?

another way, is to actually invite coments on coments.. hard to explain this but i'll try (and most possibly fail)

If the system allowed a reply to feature (additional coments) then it could be all organised into a neat little package per tune. keeping it compact and direct.

I imagine that'd be an awful lot of hard work for lman to organise as it'll mean major changes.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

But that's the point of the shoutbox, you can shout anything related to the tune. The strict rules only apply to full reviews. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's bad style, but I won't try forcing it down people's throats - would be fruitless anyway if you ask me :)

- Markus
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

While we are talking about...

It seems there's some problems with the tunes released in 2005.
The 2005 charts are empty and the tunes don't show the number of votes and distribuition.

ciap.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:But that's the point of the shoutbox, you can shout anything related to the tune. The strict rules only apply to full reviews. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's bad style, but I won't try forcing it down people's throats - would be fruitless anyway if you ask me :)
You're probably right. I just feel that people's thoughts on the tune should go there, and not people's thoughts on other people's thoughts of said tune.

I just feel comments on comments are to be taken in the forum, because the shout box is not a place for discussions. In fact, it's quite impossible to use it for any kind of reasonable "debate" (in its current form).

@Chris:
Lol! Shut up. I look smashing!

I'll shut up now since no one ever seems to care what I say anyway. ;)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Makke: Not true - can't be bad to draw attention to it. Besides, I'm the one whose comments keep getting ignored. :D

DHS: Working on it...
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

what did you say Lman? ;)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Tas: Nevermind ;)

DHS: Fixed.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

... theres a shoutbox ? :shock:
weblaus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by weblaus »

Makke wrote:I just feel comments on comments are to be taken in the forum, because the shout box is not a place for discussions. In fact, it's quite impossible to use it for any kind of reasonable "debate" (in its current form).
You're not wrong there, but in that case composers also shouldn't start to lash out in the information section of the tune at whatever someone wrote in the shoutbox.

Actually, I've only seen the C64Mafia do that (repeatedly and quite arrogantly), which makes the lyrics of the newest song (the ones about being cool and not oversensitive to criticism) especially ironic...
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

What about the case somebody already wrote almost the same that you thought about the song and you want to "shout" your opinion ? (To show that there are more people of the same opinion.)

Or should I copycat the "shout", quoting it in own words and don't relate it to the original ?

Hmm...
All is lost.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Touché, weblaus. Though maybe the one writing the lyrics and the one writing the comments isn't the same person. Anyway, I do agree with you. That discussion would probably been better taken here. In fact, as I recall it already did.

And arrogantly? What do you expect? It's the mafia!

EDIT: I just read your reply again weblaus, and I think you missed part of the point in the lyrics. Part of the lyrics are about not taking critisism as a personal insult, but the biggest part of the message is that there's too much shutting up going on, and shit being said that you're not "allowed" to reply to becaus then you are the one stirring the calm... Or so I've heard! What do I know? It's not like I wrote them or anything! Anyway, I've been known to talk a lot of bullshit...

@Vosla:
Agreeing with someone is not exactly commenting on what they said...though it is, but not in a "discussion" sort of way. Usually if everything's been said that I want to say I don't comment. I Just vote.
Last edited by Makke on 06/01/2005 - 9:37, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, I'd like to propose a six-stage solution to the problem, starting with two working groups and three committees. We'll report in 2010.

See you then! :D

Chris
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

"Shoutbox" doesn't give me the impression I actually have to write anything relevant. Its not a review after all - its a mandatory thing to get through in order to vote. And I think anything goes. ;)