London or Brighton? Vote here.

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...

Where?

London?
66%
Brighton?
34%

Total votes: 32

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

London or Brighton? Vote here.

Post by Chris Abbott »

I don't promise anything (there are lots of practical factors involved), but I'd really like to know (from people who will actually come) whether you'd actually prefer Brighton again, despite it being more difficult to get there, and despite me NOT putting on a shuttle bus again (it was very difficult and expensive).

Chris
Last edited by Chris Abbott on 20/06/2004 - 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
dbfm
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by dbfm »

haven't been here for a while, just happen to visit and found this poll within minutes of it being posted :P

Anyway.... for obvious reasons, I voted for Brighton :)
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Im gonna go for Brighton, even tho London is a great place, Id rather go back to Brighton if it was gonna be in Gossips again. Brighton was a good day out, lots of stuff to see for people but without the shuttle bus London may be a better bet, way easier for people to get too and thats what counts...mmm...thinking I should have voted London now - doh!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Well im more than happy to pickup from the airport again on the way down - no double trips to peterborough this time, and im now familiar with the road layout. I recon i could do 2 or 3 trips.. then enjoy the next-daytime in brighton with the guys b4 the big show; id certainly like to do more chatting with mahoney, adam dawes, dan, taz, boz and a ton of guys in met there last year for only a short period of time.

Who knows, i may even bring my own keyboard down for the laff :) and jam along with Jeff :D - although i really enjoyed the day event last time, with the mame things going on and seeing all my fave games again, i really think a day event would spoil it a bit as ppl would like to see more of brighton - i certainly would after last year and seeing the pics peter sanden showed us after the event.

I also noted some demo groups there, Razor1911, LSD, Anarchy, Share n Enjoy etc.. RSI attended the gossips do too ... be real nice to have a demo guys get together too, like at the bridgewater copy party.

Anyway thats my take on it - ill help out where possible, but Brighton - oh yes, Brighton ... its the place to be. Ill take some guys down on the inital run too from up here if they cough in for some petrol.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

As I stated on the other htread, id do brighton again in a second!!! :)
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

London! No doubt about it!

People from abroad will most likely prefer London, I think. There are more classic tourist stuff to do if you want to spend a couple of days there.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

I still don't know if i'll be able to be there (the 18th of September is NJoy wedding, so i'll be attending there in those days), but if i will, definitely London.

Going to Brighton is ways too expensive for a non UK dude.

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
ElliotM
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by ElliotM »

No question that it should be in Brighton again :D

Nice venue, easy parking, right in the centre of town with plenty of good nightlife.

I wouldn't go if it was in London, nor would numerous C64 friends of mine. :evil:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I wouldn't go if it was in London, nor would numerous C64 friends
> of mine.
This is what makes my life so difficult: we're trying to put on one-of-a-kind concerts that will never be repeated again, and we STILL have to worry about people not coming because they don't like where it is, just in case only 5 people turn up. We've got enough to worry about with the actual concert without having to worry about attendance figures too. I can't even rely on the C64 fanbase for support without "terms and conditions". I thought by now that we'd proved that BIT Live was a "must-see" regardless of where it was. It pisses me off that we haven't.

It all makes me

<marvin the martian>
very angry
</marvin the martian>

Chris

*headache*
*getting ill again*
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

ElliotM wrote: I wouldn't go if it was in London, nor would numerous C64 friends of mine. :evil:
I think thats just damn narrow minded. Chris goes to all the hard work of arranging it and you wont go cos its an extra 80 miles up the road? (and London DOESNT have good night life? )

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

I agree with Dan. I changed my mind about london, im planning on going no matter where it ends up - as will most of the people who were there last year. :)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I think ur wong Chris - Bitlive IS a Must see event .... its just a question of location and expense.... and London IS Expensive..... petrol, parking, congention charges, hotels, BEING THE MAIN TARGET FOR A TERRORIST EVENT doesnt help matters..... etc... See, for those living in or around london, on London wages, you wont feel it.... Us lot up Norf certainly do, especially if theres not a whole heck of a lot of cash coming in. So even if Brighton is further, appart from being cleaner, its cheaper and easier for us if we are in the car.. its worth the extra mileage, but london.... jeez, if youre not used to it, london can give you the heebie jeebies.. im 33 now, and even i shudder at the thought of London - awful place.

Bitllive IS a must see.. but if its more hasstle than its worth, London kinda scares folks off... Ive been to london about 8 times in my life, the prospect of returning again makes my skin creep. Sry to be a pain, but id rather be honest about it.

Horrible place.... Id come to see Bitlive, but i wouldnt enjoy the journey or the place and id want out as soon as the concert is over - sod the nightlife.. thats why i didnt go to the bouffy bash last year ... London - Urghhh but as you say, its handy for the Airports..... that situation of a rock and a hardplace.... i feel your pain.
boatman
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by boatman »

Source: http://www.wiredsussex.com/about/brighton.asp

"London Gatwick international airport is 26 minutes by frequent train services and 35 minutes by road from Brighton."

So, I don´t see any problems regarding coming to Brighton for non UK residents (like me coming from Germany) 8)

On the other hand: Brighton at beach ! I like that....cause I´m boatman :lol:
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?"
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Most people fly into Stansted airport: which is (a) four hours away by bus, or (b) 40 minutes to liverpool street, lug luggage to underground, take slow circle line to Victoria, lug luggage up steps, through ticket barrier, under subway, into main station, buy ticket, find platform (more lugging), lug onto train, relax. Then once in Brighton, lug luggage to hotel.

It's a bit of a trek.

And there we have it: an almost complete split between non-UK citizens and UK citizens, where the non-UK citizens are supplying most of the acts and entertainment (Reyn, Andreas, Mahoney, Larsec, Makke, and of course PPOT).

Anyway, it seems to me that the voting is equally split (haven't looked at the results before writing this). Whatever we go for, some people won't come.

> as will most of the people who were there last year.
If I was sure of that, I'd relax more!

Chris
ElliotM
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by ElliotM »

Chris,

Whatever you decide, I doubt anyone would have a problem if you raised the ticket price for the evening concert to around the £17+ mark which will help you recover your costs no matter what.

Also, you unfortunately made a loss last time, but the DVD hasn't been released yet, and at around £20 each, you'll surely get a chunk back from that :)