Signing Contracts?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Pakz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Signing Contracts?

Post by Pakz »

A couple of years ago I got a message if I would contact a radio station/record label. A couple of days ago I got my second message. This time if I wanted to sign a contract to distribute my music.

I never made any money with music and remember that record contracts are said to be done by the devil.

At the moment I think I just want to keep practising by making Amiga Remixes and get better at music writing overal.

Are there any resources online or tips on what to look out for/expect when you 'sign' a 'contract'?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: Signing Contracts?

Post by LMan »

Tough one. I guess you need to evaluate this individually, and definitely have the contract checked by a lawyer before signing anything.

Look for which of your own rights you sign over. For example, a contract may forbid you to post your own music on YouTube etc...

And be extra extra extra careful if it's a pay-to-play offer; like you have to pay them money so they allegedly promote your music. Those are scammers, just out for your cash.