Voting.

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Sonic: Your passionate about your music, and hear hear to that. Nothing is wrong with that! your tracks are your baby, your pride and joy, your little bundle of comfort if ya like.

Imagine our work on remix64 being our baby, our pride, our little bundle of comfort.

The good thing about a tune it has it's moment of good vibes/bad vibes but by and large it's all over with and the attention vanishes. With our baby it doesn't it remains in the spot light for aslong as it exists.

You say dodgy voting disencourages you from doing more remixes (believe me dodgy voting counts for very little percentage wise). Please understand that people complaining about our work also disencourages the workers of remix64 and i guess other websites. One reason i stepped down as editor of r64 is the constant/relentless complaints often only based on presumptions rather than facts.

I personally am a big fan of your music mate, but i understand not everyone thinks the same way.

Sonic: ha! amusingly i think we are the same type of person, both passionate, both out spoken and both very sensative.

give me a great big kiss ok ;)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

on a side note here. I am beginnng to wonder if the ratings system/reviews system has been a good thing. I seem to think that since these have been implemented the harmony of the scene has been disrupted and often all thats happened is disagreement.

anyone else beginning to think that way?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I think I've covered that topic before, and it might even form the next editorial.

Basically there are two groups of people: consumers and producers. Consumers love critical comment, because it tells them what to think, and (less cynically) because it saves them time downloading stuff. Producers hate it, because it brings an element of competition to the process, and no one likes to hear that an anonymous bunch of people think their tune is no more than "meh".

The question is: are we here for the producers, or the consumers? And is there a compromise?

Possible changes to the voting system:

Markus has already come up with a couple, such as having a smiley derived from the expert voting (I think he did that anyway).

Another
possibility is instead of having a static smiley, have an animated one
that cycles between the votes, spending the most time on the smiley
that has got the most.

i.e. you'd have a smiley that would start at the average mark, and then
go up to red and down to green, but crucially spending more time
where there are more votes. This would probably entail a "Flash" smiley
which you could invoke with seven numbers, representing the number of
votes obtained at each smiley level. Essentially you'd alter the intervals
between each smiley based on the numbers:

start at smiley with greatest number of votes
work out proportionate intervals between frames based on vote quantity
alter frame intervals
start smiley

So people would be able to see the range of votes in a nice clear way.

I hope I explained that well enough. It would be cool, IMHO.

Chris
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

The other alternative is to appoint a "panel of experts" who hear new remixes as they appear on RKO, then have a simpler 5/10 point rating system that they all mark the tune on. Average the marks and you have a good indication of what the tune is like.

They would need to be people who are regulars on the board/site, and should represent a cross-section of the current voters/reviewers.

Just my idea on the whole thing.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

As I said in my current editorial, I'm far from convinced that an
"out of 10" rating system is a good thing. A smiley conveys at least
the emotional effect on the listener, but a score out of 10 looks objective
but isn't. It has implied authority it doesn't really deserve, rather like the percentages on the chart: they look authoritative, but they aren't.

Chris
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Chris Abbott wrote:The question is: are we here for the producers, or the consumers?
Rework that question: is this site here primarily for several thousand C64 remix fans worldwide, or the handful of producers? My take on it would be that it enables said handful of producers to reach the thousands of C64 remix fans.
Possible changes to the voting system: Markus has already come up with a couple, such as having a smiley derived from the expert voting (I think he did that anyway).
This works.
possibility is instead of having a static smiley, have an animated one
This doesn't. This will server to massively confuse and, quite frankly, be horrid. No-one will be able to judge the time effectively, and won't bother to wait and see entire cycles.

If you're going down that route, why not do what the CGI Resource index does, and simply show _all_ the votes? In other words, stick the following but 90 degrees counter-clockwise on each track's page...

Bad: ---
Poor: -
Ok: --
Good: -------------
Very good: --------------
Amazing: -------

Here we see that the vote might have been skewed due to a few 'bad' ones... meh... this idea doesn't work that well either, though, because people might use it as the basis for tactical voting, and composers would want to hunt down and poke in the eyes anyone who voted less than what they reckoned the tune was worth...

Just go with the expert thing or leave it as it is, I reckon. The fact remains that any rating-based system is flawed somehow...
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

it seems to me that no one will settle until there are a chosen panel of experts. At least with this system there will be no dodgy votes and ironically the dodgy voting is on the increase since it was highlighted on these threads.
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Tas, I never once said anything degrading about your voting system's functionality. I was discussing the people who vote, nothing else.

Your childish outburst was uncalled-for, totally misguided and way more discouraging than any amount of bad votes.
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

ok pal, can we stop name calling now please?

if you hadn't noticed i was trying to defuse the situation above. So please lets just get on with it and stop the bickering.
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Sure thing, dude.

I just wanted to make it crystal clear that I *never* criticised your voting system at any time.

Lock this friggin thread right now. 8)
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

locked :)