Mad World....

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Personally, I can't stand The Darkness and am really glad they didn't get the Christmas number 1. If anything, they are as hyped and pushed by their record company as the Flop Idol and Lame Academy brats. And then the ridiculous cash-in album "Permission to Rock" comes out...

The Mad World cover by Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules is a great track, and a brilliant cover because it interprets the original in a very different way. It's also perfect for the Samaritans and other charities to use at Christmas from now on.

As for Makke's cover - nice!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I must say I prefer the original "Mad World" a thousand times over the Andrews/Jules track. What particularly annoyed me: when they talked about the creation of the tune on the radio yesterday, they made it sound as if they had composed it themselves for the "Donny Darko" soundtrack. The fact that it is a T4F cover was only added by the radio moderator after the interview.

- Markus
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:I must say I prefer the original "Mad World" a thousand times over the Andrews/Jules track. What particularly annoyed me: when they talked about the creation of the tune on the radio yesterday, they made it sound as if they had composed it themselves for the "Donny Darko" soundtrack. The fact that it is a T4F cover was only added by the radio moderator after the interview.

- Markus
yep, i heard it too on 1live... it's shame, no word about roland & curt.... :(

btw. The Hurting is one of the BEST new wave albums ever !!! :D

cheers ifadeo
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

No different to the Zombie Nation guy going on in interviews about his genius and failing to mention once the entire track was ripped.

Happens all the time. Still irritating tho'.

Chris
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:I must say I prefer the original "Mad World" a thousand times over the Andrews/Jules track. What particularly annoyed me: when they talked about the creation of the tune on the radio yesterday, they made it sound as if they had composed it themselves for the "Donny Darko" soundtrack. The fact that it is a T4F cover was only added by the radio moderator after the interview.
I like the original, and it's one of my favourite Tears for Fears tracks, but I prefer this latest cover. The words seem to fit with the laid-back arrangement, although I wonder if it would have been better with guitar than piano (that's how I play it!)

To be fair to them (vs Kernkraft 400), they have referred to the original track plenty of times in the past. I'm guessing this isn't happening so much now because the chap has his own original album out (which is already getting rather, erm, average reviews). Apparently, Tears for Fears are fans of the cover, too, and are considering using it as the basis for a new version of the track for their live shows.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I just had to say again how I loathe this Andrews/Jules remix. It's still getting regular air-time at our local radio station, and the more I listen to it, the more it makes me want to puke... All this pseudo-emotion they put into it (the lame piano, and the whineing voice) are so very unauthentic. I'd go as far and say they've "done an Honorabily" on a classic tune. :lol:
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:I'd go as far and say they've "done an Honorabily" on a classic tune. :lol:
Well said.
All is lost.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I'm with you on this one Lman. Love the original, this i just do not like!
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

yep, i must admit that the cover didn't stand the test of time, like the original... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
Last edited by ifadeo on 23/07/2004 - 11:17, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I dunno, I still think that that arrangement allows the lyrics space to breathe, and makes the listener really think about them. But possibly that's its weakness too...

Ooooo, spooky.

Chris
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Well said Mr Chris "Paradox" Abbott :twisted:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> Mr Chris "Paradox" Abbott
No, that's "Parallax" :)

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

steady chris, your jokes are getting nearly as bad as mine!
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Nah, he should be alarmed if he sinks to my level... oh, wait! That's already beyond help then... :wink:
All is lost.