Announcement: Immortal 3

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Anthony N.Putson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Anthony N.Putson »

is there an Immortal myspace account?
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

To be honest, I hadn't thought of a myspace account so far, but that could well be an option! In the meantime, there finally has been a detailed review of "Immortal 3" in French: http://amigapower.free.fr/ap37.html - I had a glimpse at the article and they gave the album 4 out of 5 stars overall. The orchestra version of "Apidya" was praised as THE highlight, "Speedball 2" on the other hand was the track AP reviewers liked least. In addition to that, a friend of mine was kind enough to translate Tommy Rydling's review of "Immortal 3" from Swedish Superplay - while a few factual errors have eventually sneaked in there (can you spot them?), it's still a pretty nice one:

The PLAY-concert was magnificent in all its glory - but if you're a bit like me you'd agree that there was too little Amiga-related music on the repertoire. Have faith though. After almost four years of waiting Immortal 3 has finally arrived: two discs with 150 minutes of remixed Amiga-tracks - an album that actually was presented the first time on the Stockholm concert of PLAY the 14th of June. The producer Jan Zottmann (who also produced the two first parts of the trilogy) has lured out an impressive amount of original composers to remix their own songs; in those cases when he hasn't remixed them himself. The album opens with Chris Hülsbecks orchestrated Apidya - a version close related to the one that was performed on PLAY. But forget about Apidya - because track five is a new version of the fabulous song The Great Bath from Turrican II! Now I can shuffle between the original, the remix from Hülsbeck's classic album from 1993 and this awesome version as well. And sure, Turrican 3 was garbage compared to the second part, but only in terms of gameplaying. Here we are offered a piano version of the main theme from Turrican. Three times new Hülsbeck-material - that alone is reason enough to buy Immortal 3. Are there any Amiga-gamer in the country of Sweden that isn't familiar with the catchy title songs from Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies - the games that laid the foundation of Digital Illusions? The original composer Olof Gustafsson has treated his little pieces of art with refinement and also made them a bit tougher. And... drooling... seriously, it's almost too cool that Richard Joseph has made the world's hottest remix of Bitmap Brothers cult-shooter The Chaos Engine. And therein lies the charm of Immortal 3: that the original composers have revisited their compositions 10-15 years later. Then of course it's also fun to google around and check for games from the CD that have great music, but that you never played in the good ol' days; or games that just plain sucked but where the music lives on. Like in the case of the game Death Mask from 1994 - the game that proved that, no, Amiga cannot have their own version of Doom. But the music rocked. By the way! Speaking of Chris Hülsbeck, the Immortal 3-CD is mastered in Pauler Acoustics - the very same studio where Hülsbeck created his Turrican-album. And how hot is that?
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

Over the last months, some more reviews and articles on "Immortal 3" have been published in German printmags, e.g. "GEE", "Amiga Future" (issue 65), and another article + interview in "Maniac". That French review written by Mahendra Tallur for "Amiga Power" has also been published at http://obligement.free.fr/articles/immortal3.php in the meantime. A nice review in Danish language (by Anders Petersen) can be found here: http://www.geekculture.dk/arkiv.php3?reviewid=3055. "Total Amiga" will include reviews of our previous CDs in their final issue (out on April 23, 2007).
Last edited by Jim Power on 15/04/2007 - 11:10, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

As you have probably noticed already, March has been a very sad month for the "Immortal" team. Only few weeks after the death of composer Richard Joseph on March 4 I received the tragic news that German game musician Ingo Nugel had also passed away - Ingo arranged the music from "Ghouls'n Ghosts" and "Cardiaxx" together with his brother Henning for the third volume. He was 30 years old.

Ingo Nugel - In Memoriam (Music 4 Games)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Jan Zottmann wrote:A nice review in Danish language (by Anders Petersen) can be found here: http://www.geekculture.dk/arkiv.php3?reviewid=3055.
Ah, I quite like the Mike Patton-comparison. ;)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Announcement: Immortal 3

Post by Jim Power »

Hope it's OK to resurrect the old "Immortal 3" news thread for one last time - Amiga game music fans might want to take a look at this announcement: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6110 :D