ST-01: Snare1 - it's a bass drum - the unbelievable truth!!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ST-01: Snare1 - it's a bass drum - the unbelievable truth!!

Post by d.a.wilson »

:o OK Now I'm now totally blown away - I had a tipoff from a chap calling himself Dr_Mabuse about the original source of ST-01:Snare1 that it was derived from a bass kick on the Kawai R100 drum machine! After finding the Kawai R100 sample set on the net and then very carefully playing the samples and compairing them with ST-01:Snare1 I guessed that it might be derived from R100's Bass Drum 2 sound. On loading the two samples into Sound Forge and then, as Dr Mabuse suggested, transposing Snare1 down by about an octave, and then pushing the volume of Bass Drum 2 from the Kawai well beyond clipping and low pass filtering the hell out of it to my amazement came out a waveform almost identical to ST-01:Snare 1!!!

I wish I could show you guys just how similar these two waveforms are - if it wasn't for the fact that whatever dodgy sampler was used to make ST-01 then the two waveforms would be the same. They are not identical because the sampler used on the Amiga clearly had a major problem with sampling near DC signals thus resulting in telltail DC offset drift with samples containing lots of very low frequencies. This distortion is present in a very large amount of the ST-01 samples... which kind of adds to their character :)

Many thanks for that Dr_Mabuse - what's bothering me here is this is clearly well beyond a guess - how did he know about this??? Was he involved in making the original sample sets? Who is he anyway??? :eekout:
Resident vintage synth restorer, collector and user geek... :) ....
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: ST-01: Snare1 - it's a bass drum - the unbelievable truth!!

Post by Analog-X64 »

that name sounds familiar, but the question of real or not, not sure. At least its good that they seem to know what they are talking about.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Well, the reason why the name sounds familiar might be because one of the more famous versions of soundtracker were made by D.O.C = Doctorm Mabuse Orgasm Crackings... ;)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

back in the early amiga days there was a mate who called himself dr.mabuse and was part of alpha flight... and yes, he came from duesseldorf too...;-)
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

Who cares? I always used Snare02... :lol:

BTT: Very interesting news... :wink:
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by d.a.wilson »

Ahhh.. well you see ST-01:Snare2 was sampled from the infamous Linn Drum with a touch of reverb - it was used on just about every pop song in the 80's - so your choice of Snare was popular for a good reason 8)

Dan.
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by d.a.wilson »

Hi Ziphoid... the D.O.C. theory sounds plausible - I'm going to interrogate him and see if he speaks the truth... :bash:

Cheers,

Dan.