Immortal 3: Chaos Engine

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Immortal 3: Chaos Engine

Post by pepak »

Could someone please enlighten me, in which part of the game can I find the Chaos Engine track from Amiga Immortal 3? I have never actually played it on real Amiga, only PC, and I don't remember the music; I tried to locate the music in a movie from Recorded Amiga Games, but couldn't find it.

In case you wonder why I need it: I am curious whether Metal Slug ripped off Chaos Engine or whether "Chaos Engine for Immortal" ripped off Metal Slug - I find it interesting how is some games music "inspired" (=stolen from) with other game music (Metal Slug/Chaos Engine @ Immortal) or movie music (Lord of the Rings (Interplay, 1993 or so)/Flesh and Blood, Baldur's Gate/Lifeforce or Shenmue (ochestral)/First Knight come to mind).
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Immortal 3: Chaos Engine

Post by Jim Power »

Well, the medley from "Immortal 3" is based on the music from stage 1. Just check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=547c2KElkT8 (about 5 minutes into the video) and you'll notice that the CD version is actually pretty close to the original game soundtrack. Additionally, the Bitmap Brothers released "The Chaos Engine" in 1993 - that's three years before the first game in the "Metal Slug" series appeared. I'm curious which of these games you're actually referring to; I've been listening through the music from MS1, but couldn't find any resemblances at all.
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pepak »

Jim Power wrote:Well, the medley from "Immortal 3" is based on the music from stage 1.
Thanks. Will check that.
Bitmap Brothers released "The Chaos Engine" in 1993 - that's three years before the first game in the "Metal Slug" series appeared.
Yeah, but Immortal 3 was released in what, 2006? 2007? A long time after Metal Slug. That's why I wanted to know where the music appeared in Chaos Engine - it is WAS there, it is obvious that the Noise Factory (authors of MS) must have borrowed it rather than the other way around.
I'm curious which of these games you're actually referring to; I've been listening through the music from MS1, but couldn't find any resemblances at all.
Metal Slug 2 for certain. The level with a massive battleship for a boss. It's level 4, I think.
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

OK, I just checked out the MS2 level tunes, but I really don't think we have a "rip-off" situation here... I mean, the "Chaos Engine" ingame music wasn't too complex in the first place, so it's not unlikely somebody could come up with a very similar idea for another game. On the other hand, it seems rather unlikely that the "Metal Slug 2" (released 1998) composers would get their musical inspiration from a 5 year old Amiga game. BTW: I recommend comparing the 1st stage tune from "Jim Power" to the lava level music from the PC Engine adventure "Ys III". I bet you'll be surprised! :D
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pepak »

Jim Power wrote:On the other hand, it seems rather unlikely that the "Metal Slug 2" (released 1998) composers would get their musical inspiration from a 5 year old Amiga game.
Well, I wouldn't be too surprised. I mean, Baldur's Gate reused music from a rather obscure movie 13 years older... ("reused" - the music from battle sequence is note for note the same).
BTW: I recommend comparing the 1st stage tune from "Jim Power" to the lava level music from the PC Engine adventure "Ys III". I bet you'll be surprised! :D
Thanks, will do. I love game music but I also love hearing these things :-)