Suggestions anyone for the next BIT Live ?

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Pete Abbott
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

BIT 5

Post by Pete Abbott »

Chris, hire the cruise ship Dorset Belle from Bournemouth. Cheap to hire, (Liverpool Vic Always do the Booze cruise), out to sea and enough rooms for 200 people (all drunk, last time I went along for fun someone stole the life preserver poster, ahem). From Bournemouth pier, plenty accomodation, mainline from London, Bournemouth Airport, hire the Imax (bitlive IMAX), good nightclubs, everyone in Bournemouth knows BITLIVE by now and Me!

Mate of mine at work does commercial lasers as well..... :P
fgasking
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by fgasking »

I didn't know when you mentioned this idea Chris, if you mean't it or not... or were pulling my leg...

Great idea though :)

Btw... listened to Project:Galway all day, and its bloody brilliant... Streethawk especially..... What a treat to the ears at long last :)
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by FromWithin »

On water? Interesting....

One of our release parties at Psygnosis was an absolute classic. Birkenhead ferry terminal was hired out and everyone had to dress up in Wild West gear (although that might not be completely appropriate for another BIT Live :). We had the bucking bronco and lassooing and stuff. But anyway, the point is that...we spent about 3 hours in there (they have a nice big indoor area with a bar), and then all got on one of the Ferries and spent the rest of the night getting hammered while cruising around the River Mersey. It was fantastic. Big enough to hold a lot of people (both the Liverpool and Chester offices were there).

Just a thought...
Mike Clarke
Pete Abbott
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Pete Abbott »

I don't suppose the Titanic is free? Failing that Battlestar Galactica will do.
:D

----------------------------------------------------------------
Fruity loops - Not so much software, more a way of life.
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Matrix wrote: why not HAVE a copy / Demo party - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL ........ AGAIN !! Right Mahoney ? :D
Well, wasn't this one a copy party? The copies cost £5, you bought those CDs by the desk... ;)
Hacky
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

My suggestions are:

Post by Hacky »

1 - Next time advertise the event in PC Format and PC Zone and etc, and make sure it has a listing in Time Out, and What's On, and etc etc, coz there are SO MANY more C=64 geeks out there, but basically no one knew about this gig unless they read this forum or something. You could easily get 1000 people coming if you took an ad or two out I recon. So obviously a bigger venue would be needed.

2 - Put up a donations link on the site, so people can make donations towards the organisers' efforts to secure the next gig. At least for this next one, then if you did manage to get 1000 people or whatever, then it would start more than paying for itself.

3 - err, oh yes, that keyboard stand Rob was using, chuck it in the bin! Any keyboardist knows u never use that kind!<G>

4 - Get Rob back for the next one too!

5 - Definately have a DJ set of the 'best of' of the remixes.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Good point Pex m8 - but i meant with the likes of X-Copy, 2 Floppy drives, a bucket load of 880k discs and ppls massive mods and scene art collection :)

-
1 - Next time advertise the event in PC Format and PC Zone and etc, and make sure it has a listing in Time Out, and What's On, and etc etc, coz there are SO MANY more C=64 geeks out there, but basically no one knew about this gig unless they read this forum or something. You could easily get 1000 people coming if you took an ad or two out I recon. So obviously a bigger venue would be needed.
It can cost thousands to get a good size advert in those mags bro .... as things are Chris managed to get a very nice 4 page spread in "GAMES TM" magazine - WIKID !!
2 - Put up a donations link on the site, so people can make donations towards the organisers' efforts to secure the next gig. At least for this next one, then if you did manage to get 1000 people or whatever, then it would start more than paying for itself.
Ive never seen a link yet with "donate" on it, or a forum with a donation box that contains more than $5 - however.... good idea in theory.... It may work, we have a very didicated community here :)
3 - err, oh yes, that keyboard stand Rob was using, chuck it in the bin! Any keyboardist knows u never use that kind!<G>
Hehe i have one similar, but when i saw the saw crossbar i was just expecting trouble - definately NOT good for gig-use.
4 - Get Rob back for the next one too!
YES YES !! :)
5 - Definately have a DJ set of the 'best of' of the remixes.
Be great to hear this stuff scratched and beatmatched hehehe - anyone else but me notice they were using PCDJ for the in-betweeny sections :)
Franksey$D012
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Franksey$D012 »

skitz wrote:
Dawsy who was with me at the event is a dance DJ and has an amazing gadget, some of you may have seen one of these but I will attempt to describe it. As we all know traditional dance DJs mix vinyl records on turntables and have great flexibility with the tempo/movement on the decks and using crossfaders to slam the tunes in and out, but how can you achieve this with a SID tune? His device consists of a vinyl record that you play on a standard deck. The record itself just plays an audio "time code" that is fed through an interface in to the laptop/PC. This time code interfaces with an MP3 player in terms of speed and direction. So basically you can select any MP3(s)and their playback is controlled completely by the deck, so you can scratch, fade, speed up, stop, slow down whatever. I'm pretty sure Dawsy said he'd be happy to bring this along to an event, so anyone with DJ skills could mix up SID tunes or SID remixes! He has the technics decks, amp(s), speakers etc etc.
I assume you mean Final Scratch from stanton?
Just noticed the discussion had got back to the original thread, so yes Skitz, its the Final Scratch from Stanton. Do you rate this system?

I will get Dawsy to sign up and see what he has to say about mixing SID/Remixes..
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
- Next time advertise the event in PC Format and PC Zone and etc, and make sure it has a listing in Time Out, and What's On, and etc etc, coz there are SO MANY more C=64 geeks out there, but basically no one knew about this gig unless they read this forum or something. You could easily get 1000 people coming if you took an ad or two out I recon. So obviously a bigger venue would be needed.
>>>
It wouldn't pay for itself. Honest, it wouldn't (six years trying to get C64 events and merchandise to the population speaking here). Anyway, the next one will probably be quite small and target the normal crew. The problem is the likelihood of any given person reading the advertising of (a) remembering the c64, (b) caring, and (c) actually getting off their arse for an event which will be in their minds as a geekfest, is very small indeed. Especially so for a 1/4 page ad (which would be all that could be afforded).

<<<
>>>
I did, and hardly anyone used it. Though thanks to Chris lingwood, Peter
Sandén, Mahoney, and all the VIP ticket holders who really helped me out. Thanks guys!

<<<
>>>
There wasn't a choice unfortunately... it's just a detail no one thought
about...

> 4 - Get Rob back for the next one too!
To quote Rob:
"Yes, the night was a one off experience of a lifetime."

A definite case of diminishing returns if we revisit it, I think.

> 5 - Definately have a DJ set of the 'best of' of the remixes.
It's kind of ironic that BIT Live started off being about "remixes
played very loud", and ended up being a cultural rock event.
The DJ thing very definitely now has a second place to the live
attractions, though at this event Skitz of course followed up his
all-night stint at the desk with a DJ set of his own, which was cool.

We'll just see how it pans out. it's early days yet.

BTW: you look like Danny Wallace, Dave Gorman's mate.

Chris
Darrenxyz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Darrenxyz »

A basic point here - next time, please can we have name stickers again? I know there were a couple of, shall we say, "incidents" at BITLive3 involving the wrong names being on the wrong people, but it would make it so much easier to find people you wanted to talk to, and avoid some of the mistaken identity situations.

--Darren
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Darrenxyz wrote:A basic point here - next time, please can we have name stickers again? I know there were a couple of, shall we say, "incidents" at BITLive3 involving the wrong names being on the wrong people, but it would make it so much easier to find people you wanted to talk to, and avoid some of the mistaken identity situations.
On the other hand, the missing nametags led to a couple of funny situations. Like when I was chatting to Tron/Subversive Elements and he suddenly realised who I was. :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> A basic point here - next time, please can we have name
> stickers again?
People should bring their own: I've got enough to worry about
of a live event without having to worry about finding people
and sticking bits of paper to them!

Chris
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Tas wrote:Just seems mighty strange to me thats all, we have had 2am closing here for about 6 years or so.

curious, does anywhere else have pubs that stay open til 2am without the need of paying admission?

I'm beginning to think it's just a Donny thing.

Our Nightclubs close at 4am, is that unusal too?
Not quite the same in Grimsby but we have a Chicago Rock Cafe right in the centre of town which is classed as a restaurant/pub till early evening (don't know when to) then it's a pub until 10pm then it is a nightclub after that.

This means free admission before 10 if you are clubbing so there's usually a mad rush out of the nearby, cheaper pubs for this :P

Haven't stayed in the pub all the time so not sure if it's something like 2am when the pubs close. The nightclubs close about 2.30/3am so I think you've got a good nightlife there, Neil :D :P

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I guess its not the standard then. I could never undewrtsand when i went somewhere else and the pubs closed early. i tyhought such a strange place to do that. ha! no turns out we are the strange place to stay open that long.

Ahhhh, it's great being a donny lad =)
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by FromWithin »

Chris Abbott wrote: It wouldn't pay for itself. Honest, it wouldn't (six years trying to get C64 events and merchandise to the population speaking here). Anyway, the next one will probably be quite small and target the normal crew. The problem is the likelihood of any given person reading the advertising of (a) remembering the c64, (b) caring, and (c) actually getting off their arse for an event which will be in their minds as a geekfest, is very small indeed. Especially so for a 1/4 page ad (which would be all that could be afforded).
I think there would be a fair few old developers interested. I know a number of people who could have made it if I'd told them about it a bit sooner. Is there no chance a getting another feature in Edge magazine a month before, tied to some sort of preview of the next event? There are always ways to blag... ;)

And speaking of which, are any magazines doing any sort of report about it?
Chris Abott wrote: <<<
2 - Put up a donations link on the site
>>>
I did, and hardly anyone used it. Though thanks to Chris lingwood, Peter
Sandén, Mahoney, and all the VIP ticket holders who really helped me out. Thanks guys!
!???!! Where was that? I certainly would have donated if I'd known how to. I didn't see any links or anything. If it's still active, I'll send something over...
Mike Clarke