Mr.TOM is happy

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Aren't you worried if it's going to be too dead if there's absorbers almost everywhere? (that's what I understood from your description). Or maybe there isn't foam to the back of you and only a bit in the ceiling ? (better solution IMO)
Right, too dead is not good ! I once was in an EMI Studio(MarwegStudios) here in Cologne/Germany where they do the vinyls 'n' stuff and the room was totally dead, which is a feelin of " Please, let me out of here as soon as possible" :lol:

Our floor is carpet, the walls are mostly filled with absorbers , the left wall is mostly filled with special shelves desinged to work as diffusors , the back is the rack-wall with all of the outboard equipment and the ceiling has only a few absorbers wich can be placed where ever
they're in need ( especially on top of the mixing-desk)

I did no filter testing because first it's very expensive and second i think the most important thing is to feel comfortable in your control-room!

I checked loads of big productions in the room to hear the strenght and the weakness of it (for example the latest R.KELLY Longplay!)

In the early stage of designing the room we had loads of trouble with standing walls, but since we've installed the basstraps in the right corner the problems are gone :lol:

And since i only do vocal and some guitar recordings, the recording room was designed to be almost dead , but still there's enough live in it :wink:

as i said .. as soon as we are totally finished the images will be taken and then they'll go online !! :D
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Well, I agree that the most important thing is to feel at home and to simply know the room. Once you know it, and know the traps and pitfalls, you can adjust accordingly in the mix. And listening to your mixes it's damn near perfection anyway. Although Y.O.U. does have an excessive amount of lowfrequency material (that kick & bass punches your stomach in).

I did do a combfilter test but didn't have to do a lot of adjusting afterwards luckily.
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Although Y.O.U. does have an excessive amount of lowfrequency material (that kick & bass punches your stomach in).
yeah right, sometimes i turned too much of bass sound in it :wink:
but keep in mind all the productions i have done in the past were done in our old studio which was at the loft of my parents house :wink:
and the only absorber we had were egg-cardboard boxes :lol:

I am curious about my new productions in our new studio..as i said before a real new challange :twisted:
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

To me it sounded like the excessive bass was perhaps added in the mastering not the mix necessarily. Did you master it yourself? If so, on what equipment?