Back In Time 3

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Back In Time 3

Post by Bog »

I keep forgetting how bloody marvellous this disk is. Really, Chris, this is quite probably my favourite C64 remix disk of all time. That's no denigration of any other remixers, it's just how thoroughly up my alley this particular symphonic romp really is.

Yes I am sober, shut up. ;)
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Re: Back In Time 3

Post by Makke »

Bog wrote:Really, Chris, this is quite probably my favourite C64 remix disk of all time.
Agreed!

At least it's my favourit "Sit down and listen to the whole album while relaxing!"-album. I can't put BIT 3 on and not listen to the whole thing. Kind of like with Sidologie, really. Must listen to the whole thing, or nothing at all. Which means I don't listen to these albums very often, but when I do I really listen (usually at a ridiculous volume (in headphones, to spare the girlfriends (and neighbours (and whatnot)))).

For a more "pop"-like fix I prefer BIT 2 or Nexus. :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

Zoids - Desert Battle makes me want a mech, lots of sand and more targets than I know what to do with.

Or a new version of Zoids, on current-gen hardware. Personnaly, I think that would rock.

*twitch*

But yeah, it's one of those "listen to all the way through" things. Which is great if you're doing visual stuff like wot I do.
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

It took me abit longer to get into BIT 3 than it did the first two, but it grew on me and is probably the best of the three.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Thanks guys :) Some of my best memories of C64 music are centered around this album: a long weekend with Boz and Kenz (the first time they met!!) doing the final mixes to take to the studio, and then an intense professional mastering session. April 9th, 2001 it was. Having to load each instrumental patch from Miroslav Vitous's studio into Boz's ESynth separately: and then during Trap finding we'd recorded them all in mono! LOL!

I think you can hear the love :D.

What's odd about BIT 2 is that I became sort of a guest artist on my own album, because the quality of the third party material was so good (Jogeir, Tonka, etc). That was mostly because I was working 40 hours a week at British Airways and didn't have the time or energy to do as much as I'd have liked.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
robrascal

Post by robrascal »

Chris Abbott wrote:Thanks guys :) Some of my best memories of C64 music are centered around this album:
What about a fourth part? :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

robrascal wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:Thanks guys :) Some of my best memories of C64 music are centered around this album:
What about a fourth part? :)
Times have changed... people are in different places (e.g. Boz - Sweden), the need for new CDs is a bit less than it was at that time, the standard was set quite high by BIT 3, and no one would be sure what they wanted from a BIT 4. Originally it was going to be a symphonic martial arts/fantasy romp, but that ground was covered by R64 - IE. And if I returned to the roots and did something like BIT 1, it would have just got criticised.

It was difficult to see what I could produce that wouldn't disappoint 50% of the audience: and given that I have much less time than I used to, thanks to having children and working hard in another industry, it was better to just release myself from the pressure of having to do another one, and go out on a high.

Plus I've got far too many CDs in my loft!

But I always appreciate it when someone asks, since I often feel kind of "last generation" as a musician in the minds of people such as, say, the Slay listeners. It's like "what have you done for me lately?" a lot of the time. My tunes never had flash guitarists or singers (because I didn't have access to any), just a lot of heart. It's nice when someone remembers that I was quite good once :)

Chris
weblaus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by weblaus »

Chris Abbott wrote:And if I returned to the roots and did something like BIT 1, it would have just got criticised.
I'd actually like something like this pretty much... I suspect I'm in the minority with this, but I feel like many of the "big" productions take themselves too seriously, thus reducing the fun bits somewhat.

PPOT's Run-Stop/Restore still is my favourite remix album, with Visa Röster's and Makke's works as runner-up, simply because you can feel the fun in these productions and it's not the "must sound serious/symphonic/overly ambitious" bits that dominate.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

weblaus wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:And if I returned to the roots and did something like BIT 1, it would have just got criticised.
I'd actually like something like this pretty much... I suspect I'm in the minority with this, but I feel like many of the "big" productions take themselves too seriously, thus reducing the fun bits somewhat.

PPOT's Run-Stop/Restore still is my favourite remix album, with Visa Röster's and Makke's works as runner-up, simply because you can feel the fun in these productions and it's not the "must sound serious/symphonic/overly ambitious" bits that dominate.
Well, even we let our hair down with Karma64, because we were aware that the previous album had been a bit serious..:)

Chris
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Anyone who found themselves lusting for more after BIT3 should grab a copy of its long lost twin-brother, Crystal Dreamscapes.

I love BIT3 for exactly the same reasons as mosigneurs Bog and Makke, yet Dreamscapes prolly gets more airplay at Casa Kwed than any of the other remix albums - combined.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Tell you what, I put on Karma64 recently for the first time in months... bliss.

I've enjoyed every remix album in my collection in different ways in different places... Whether it's on a train/coach to a retro event, as background music while I write or sitting down reading a book...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
robrascal

Post by robrascal »

Chris Abbott wrote: Times have changed...
Huh? Did I miss something? :)
(Ok, we lost the world cup...)
the need for new CDs is a bit less than it was at that time,
Well, I still NEED it.
the standard was set quite high by BIT 3, and no one would be sure what they wanted from a BIT 4.
Maybe just a CD with C64 remixes? (Just a guess. :) )
Originally it was going to be a symphonic martial arts/fantasy romp, but that ground was covered by R64 - IE.
Yes? But...?
And if I returned to the roots and did something like BIT 1, it would have just got criticised.
By whom?
It was difficult to see what I could produce that wouldn't disappoint 50% of the audience: and given that I have much less time than I used to, thanks to having children and working hard in another industry, it was better to just release myself from the pressure of having to do another one, and go out on a high.
I didn't got that:
I thought all remixers are doing remixes because it is fun and not to earn money? So why do you set yourself under that pressure?

If you feel in the right mood to produce remixes then just do it - and don't think of the quality or time. But do it. Maybe you got a complete CD in ten years. That's fine. I will be there to buy it. :)

(And of course I would like to help, but I'm not a musician - just an owner of Cubasis ;) ).
Plus I've got far too many CDs in my loft!
That's no problem. I will take the loft. ;)
My tunes never had flash guitarists or singers (because I didn't have access to any), just a lot of heart.
Yes, and that's what I want more from.
It's nice when someone remembers that I was quite good once :)

You sound like a sad german before the world cup. ;) Hell, your ARE quite a good one.

(btw: How old are your kids? Did they got these little mini pianos? What about a remix on these instruments? You would do something totaly new and as a side effect you will play with your childrens. ;) )
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Karma 64 still has, imo the definitive Sanxion and Ocean Loader mixes

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

I keep dreaming that one of these days I'll win the lottery, and be able to say "Alright, boys - everyone's mortgages are sorted for the next year. I've got a few animators who're willing to muck in, let's get ensconced and just make something glorious for the sake of it"

It's a beautiful dream.
Pixel tamer
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

a man after my own heart
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity