WIP: Soft and Wet - need tips

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

WIP: Soft and Wet - need tips

Post by k_rostoen »

Hepp hepp,

Thought I'd give this remixing thing a try, and as I am more into demo-music than game-music, I though I'd start with a Reyn Ouwehand tune.

All this compressing and EQ-ing is pretty greek to me at the moment, so if any of you have any tips on how to improve this I would appreciate it alot.

The lead instrument really suck, I'll have to work on that one. I'll try to make some more variations in the song aswell, the only problem is that the original is quite short itself.

You can download the tune here:
http://25-3.com/musikk/Kristian_Rostoen ... nd_Wet.mp3
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: WIP: Soft and Wet - need tips

Post by Waz »

k_rostoen wrote: Thought I'd give this remixing thing a try, and as I am more into demo-music than game-music, I though I'd start with a Reyn Ouwehand tune.
Kristian,

First off, it's nice to see another C64 composer turn their hand to a remix, and especially nice for yours truly that you've taken a demo tune on.

I'm sure many of the remixers here should be able to give you some advice in terms of production, but having given the mix a quick listen, it sounds promising enough in theory.

Like you say yourself, the lead definitely needs changing, but get that right and you're pretty much on your way. I'd also think carefully about the emotion of the tune and making sure that whatever you do choose as an instrument fits in and gives it the right amount of feel - Reyn's leads were always quite good at that. Also, don't be afraid to experiment a little either - you don't necessarily need to do it as a straight cover as long as the feel of the tune remains intact.

In any case, may I offer an additional challenge to C64 remixers: why not take on one of Kristian's tunes? They're good songs to work with and certainly something like Rainy is crying out for a cracking remix (hint).
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

sounds good :D
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Waz: Thanks for your comments :)

I agree about the emotion of the tune. The hard part is to find instruments that fits. It was alot easier on the C-64 where you had a minimum of instruments to chose from. Now, with all the oportunities the PC gives you it's really hard not to kill a song with an overload of instruments. I'm struggling with finding the right balance.

When it comes to the lead I think I might have to change a bit on it. Some of the notes are, in my opinion, running too fast to sound good with ordinary instruments. That, the instruments and working a bit on the chords will be the next thing to work on.

Oh, and about my own tunes, if anyone feel like it, go ahead. It's mostly crap though and unfortunately not Reyn quality :)

gibs: thanks :)
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Hiho Kristian!

Haven't talked to you since my days on IRCnet #c-64 or my visit to Bergen. Welcome to the remixing world. :D
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Heppers Jan, nice to see you here :)

Love your work with RKO, been a few downloads over the years. I hope I will be able to make a little contribution for it in the future.
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

A tiny little update. Fixed some chords and changed the lead instrument... to the better? Hmm, not too sure about that. Sounds very.. uh.. PCish.

http://25-3.com/musikk/Kristian_Rostoen ... d_Wet2.mp3

Some more updates. Fixed some stuff and probably destroyed some. Don't seem to be getting anywhere right now.
http://25-3.com/musikk/Kristian_Rostoen ... d_Wet3.mp3
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

missed this thread til now...

Love the bass on this.. i do like a deep pulsating bass i do! :)

Good work so far, hope to hear it finished.
Aero
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Aero »

It's beautiful. The replacement of the electrical guitar really lifted the song IMHO
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Thanks for comments :)

I haven't done anything much on this since last update. EQing, compressing, placing stuff in the stereo space etc is just driving me crazy. Instead I've been working on a trance version of another song... which sounds even worse than this :)

Had some rap-samples here I had to try out with this Soft & Wet song and IMO it sounded pretty cool. But, I think that version will stay on my computer only.