NEW SID 6581 & 6580 release~!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

NEW SID 6581 & 6580 release~!

Post by naughtyboy »

Hiya

My band 8 Bit Weapon has released a SID/Game Boy/Drums CD EP of original SID/Game Boy/Synth/drums Music! Its an 8 bit medley of unimaginable delight~!

We use both 6581 adn 6580 on the EP~! We have an album with even more SID rockin tunes (14 to be exact!) coming mid August~!

Hear for yourself @ http://www.8bitweapon.com

Enjoy~! Maybe we'll be touring in your neck of the woods soon!

-naughtyboy
ps http://www.myspace.com/8bitweapon has full length mp3's for free downlaod!
Last edited by naughtyboy on 29/07/2005 - 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I cant seem to connect to either url... :(
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Matrix wrote:I cant seem to connect to either url... :(
Problem on user's end... ;>

I can connect fine.
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by naughtyboy »

I'd love to hear some feedback...good or bad :)

thank you in advance!

-naughtyboy ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Ok i get into the main site now, but for the myspace, all i get is "HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found"
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Bullseye :) thx
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Crazy Comets

Post by M.A.F »

8-bit weapon.

The Crazy Comets version you did was very good. Mainly because 99% of Rob Hubbards tune was there. There was nothing creative in that atall.New drums and bassline.
I could do that to ANY fast paced 'Hubbard'64 tune.REALLY easy. I could then call it a remix.
And people think IM lazy!!
Give me a break.

Where is the creativity?

Rob Hubbard was very creative,and he wouldnt have known that his tunes would sound contemporary when "modern bass and drums" were added years later. Well how could he! His composition and structure were such though that now such a simple thing such as adding drums and extra bass can be done,changing the feel of the original to such an extent that it sounds modern.The man was way ahead of his time musically. (Predating dance music,which many of his tunes are now based on)

Its a pity that many of the people trying to "remix" his tunes these days dont have his creativity.
The same can be said for many of the supposed "remixes" available online of c64 and amiga game tunes. Most of them copy the original or end up with a tuneless mess,not highlighting the original melodies,even worse not bothering to make melodies of thier own that could compliment the original adding to it in any way shape or form.

Having said that,can you add some hard drums and bass to Sanxion so that it sounds as hard as Crazy Comets please? 8)
Not to be too pretentious you understand.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Crazy Comets

Post by Chris Abbott »

M.A.F wrote:8-bit weapon.

The Crazy Comets version you did was very good. Mainly because 99% of Rob Hubbards tune was there. There was nothing creative in that atall.New drums and bassline.
I could do that to ANY fast paced 'Hubbard'64 tune.REALLY easy. I could then call it a remix.
Give me a break.

Where is the creativity?

Rob Hubbard was very creative,and he wouldnt have known that his tunes would sound contemporary when "modern bass and drums" were added years later. Well how could he! His composition and structure were such though that now such a simple thing such as adding drums and extra bass can be done,changing the feel of the original to such an extent that it sounds modern.The man was way ahead of his time musically. (Predating dance music,which many of his tunes are now based on)

Its a pity that many of the people trying to "remix" his tunes these days dont have his creativity.
The same can be said for many of the supposed "remixes" available online of c64 and amiga game tunes. Most of them copy the original or end up with a tuneless mess,not highlighting the original melodies,even worse not bothering to make melodies of thier own that could compliment the original adding to it in any way shape or form.

Having said that,can you add some hard drums and bass to Sanxion so that it sounds as hard as Crazy Comets please? 8)
Hang on: if he added a new bassline in, there was a creative process going on: you couldn't have done the same thing, because you don't have the same brain as him: your bassline would have been different. And it's not easy to do a bassline that works: it's not easy to do ANYTHING that works. The problem is that anything that works tends to sound easy to do!

At least to the average listener. I have a problem when people just put a drum loop on a SID, and the only skill involved in synchronisation: that's a mechanical process, not an artistic one (choosing a loop doesn't count as art to me, though technically it is). But Seth does a little more than that: it's more like deconstruction and reconstruction of the SID.

I'll also add another thing: some of the listeners out there think the remix community is up its own arse: I talk with people who wish we'd just play real SIDs at Back in Time Live, or think that remixes are more interesting when they're SID-based and not completely new art they have to fall in love with again.

Musicians and the listeners will always have a different agenda: for many fans of chipmusic, all they need is the original spiced up a bit for the millennium to make them happy, as long as it's done well. It's our problem that we won't give them this simple pleasure!

As for remixes not being as creative as Rob Hubbard... well, that's not surprising. Hardly anyone was as in the zone and creative as Rob in his prime. It's a lot to live up to.

> And people think IM lazy!!
They do?

Chris
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Crazy Comets

Post by M.A.F »

Chris Abbott wrote:
M.A.F wrote:8-bit weapon.

Give me a break.

Where is the creativity?

Hang on: if he added a new bassline in, there was a creative process going on: you couldn't have done the same thing, because you don't have the same brain as him: your bassline would have been different. And it's not easy to do a bassline that works: it's not easy to do ANYTHING that works. The problem is that anything that works tends to sound easy to do!

At least to the average listener. I have a problem when people just put a drum loop on a SID, and the only skill involved in synchronisation: that's a mechanical process, not an artistic one (choosing a loop doesn't count as art to me, though technically it is). But Seth does a little more than that: it's more like deconstruction and reconstruction of the SID.

I'll also add another thing: some of the listeners out there think the remix community is up its own arse: I talk with people who wish we'd just play real SIDs at Back in Time Live, or think that remixes are more interesting when they're SID-based and not completely new art they have to fall in love with again.

Musicians and the listeners will always have a different agenda: for many fans of chipmusic, all they need is the original spiced up a bit for the millennium to make them happy, as long as it's done well. It's our problem that we won't give them this simple pleasure!

As for remixes not being as creative as Rob Hubbard... well, that's not surprising. Hardly anyone was as in the zone and creative as Rob in his prime. It's a lot to live up to.

> And people think IM lazy!!
They do?

Chris
I prepared a long and detailed answer to your post Chris.

When i tried to preview the post on Remix 64 it asked me to log in,of course i had already logged in to answer your post in the first place.total waste of time and (alot of effort on my part cos ima a lazy bastard) the whole lot was lost.,
Let me summarise then.

If no one is able to match Rob Hubbards creativity because he was in the "zone" when he made his tunes then dont bother to try and remix them.

Remix and ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION.

Take the original melodies,add your own,change the tune but still make it catchy yet different from the original.

And at least good to hear.

I did state that the Crazy Comets was very good.

Its just i expected more from R64.

Allistair Brimble's Lightforce is still my favourite tune,though its not a real remix.
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by naughtyboy »

Hiya guyz (and possible gals?),

2 Things folks:

#1) What some people may have also failed to notice about Crazy Comets is that there are both LIVE ACOUSTIC DRUMS and LIVE C64 (German 6581) Bass on it!!! Lets see anyone else nail that one! hehe ;)

#2) What about the original pieces? There are 6 or 7 on the http://www.8bitweapon.com clips page and 3 on the http://www.myspace.com/8bitweapon site! Those are the ones I would really like to hear your opinions about!

Thank you in advance!

-Seth aka naughtyboy :)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

With due respect M.A.F your making a distinction between art and taste. Just because certain music doesn't ring your bell does not mean that it doesn't ring others.

You mentioned lightforce, in my opinion the original tune i never liked from day one, and many of the remixes you mentioned i dislike too... Not because they are bad but because it just isn't my kettle of fish.

As i've mentioned in a previous editorial there's two types of musician and listerner... Purest and experimentalist - some even manage to combine them both... Which is right? none are brainer infact cos everyone likes a different thing.

I like Bourbons you like custard creams... same thing really but taste different.. are you right or me?

Answer: neither!
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

naughtyboy wrote:Hiya guyz (and possible gals?),

2 Things folks:

#1) What some people may have also failed to notice about Crazy Comets is that there are both LIVE ACOUSTIC DRUMS and LIVE C64 (German 6581) Bass on it!!! Lets see anyone else nail that one! hehe ;)

#2) What about the original pieces? There are 6 or 7 on the http://www.8bitweapon.com clips page and 3 on the http://www.myspace.com/8bitweapon site! Those are the ones I would really like to hear your opinions about!

Thank you in advance!

-Seth aka naughtyboy :)
I liked the drums you used on Crazy Comets. I called them "hard" drums.
Thats why i asked you if you could do the same with Sanxion.It sounds good but as i also stated its hardly a remix adding drums.It doesent really matter how they were recorded really Seth,though i can apprieciate that it would have taken alot of f*cking about to do it.

I will listen to your "original" Crazy Comets peices and give my opinion.
Thats all it is.

My opinion.
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

Tas wrote:With due respect M.A.F your making a distinction between art and taste. Just because certain music doesn't ring your bell does not mean that it doesn't ring others
Thats true to a certain extent Tas,but i was talking about remixing in general.

Hardly anyone bothers to even try and create a remix. From what ive been able to hear of remixes the last few years,it seems that many people dont seem to know what a remix actually is.
Its definately not keeping the original track and then adding a hi -hat or a snare sample for instance.

Re-create the tune yourself,forget what the original "entire" tune sounded like( i can never remmember that anyway),take the bits you remmember(these are mostly the melodic parts for me atleast) and then make your own version.
Suprisingly what you end up with is still a catchy yet different tune.

Again having said that,its only my opinion.

Hopefully opinions are still allowed on R64.(unless Chris has gone in a big huff with me)
devilhood
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by devilhood »

M.A.F I agree with you, but you kinda went a bit out of your way to get the point across.

To say that if someone doesn't match the "zone" in which Hubbard was in, shouldn't even bother remixing, is unnecessarily harsh.
You're kinda shooting yourself in the foot with that one.
Everyone that remixes has the potential to expand their creativity and scope if they continue to work on things, regardless of what C64 legend they decide to remix.

Sure. . if the remix is simply a case of adding a drum and bass arrangement to the original recording, it's still considered something new and fits in with the definition of a remix, so we can't really argue anything on that side.
However, if you think that it is crap, then that's fine as well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Most remixers carefully read the opinions we give about their music, and I'm pretty sure this makes a significant impact.

Having said all that, the tracks on naughtyboys myspace do not tickle my eardrums in the slightest. I'm not a big fan of hearing the original 8-bit SID mixed in with one or two contemporary instruments. It's more of a plug of the actual SID, which I'd prefer to hear in its original form anyday.

Pawel.
Pawel Osmolski - music portfolio

SoundCloud - all sorts

Bandcamp - digital releases