Voice synthesizer

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Voice synthesizer

Post by GeckoYamori »

I've been looking for a special voice synthesizer for a while... It makes this unique robotic sound which can't be found in any other program. You can hear it in the old dance song Das Boot, for example. Does anyone know where to get it? I believe it was available for Amiga.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

The Amiga has a voice synth built into workbench. If youre talking about the c64 though, the best I ever came across was called "Big Mouth" - tiny £4.99 thing even back then.... loaded in like 20 seconds... Oh for the want of a sampler back then :)

I have a DX-Vocoder for the PC that can achieve similar results, cept its 16bit of course.

also one the amiga, for the advanced realtime stuff, check out Technosound Turbo II (requires dongle).
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

The problem is, I don't own a C64 or Amiga. I was wondering if there is some kind of program for PC that emulates this type of voice. Is there any way to use this tool with an Amiga emulator?

Edit: Can you tell me where to get ahold of this DX-Vocoder?
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

The DX-Vocoder has to be bought. Technosound turbo will work on AIAB Amiga emulator but you cant use the required dongle - your best bet is a pc based sample effects generator.
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Using CCS64 (C64-emulator by Per HÃ¥kan Sundell) and a 8kB Commodore64-program called "SAM speaking", you can get all these sounds for free. Search the web, it's there...

You'll need some patience, since this is 1985'years technology, but it works! If you beef it up with an EQ and a reverb, then I think you'll get what you wanted.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

click for sam-like proggy:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/downloa ... /sayit.htm

click for simple vocoder:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/downloa ... ocoder.htm

btw. both are freeware....

cheers 2Klang
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Nice info guys :) - i was just thinking too, isnt there a demo free trial of soundforge out there ? that has effects processing and works with the Dx plugins too i believe. Its far frm freeware but a top notch sample proggy (doesnt replace the wonderful AUDIOMASTER on amiga tho - dam i miss that ...)
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

Windows (at least 2000 and upwards) has a narrator built in as part of the accessibility functions. It is nowhere as flexible or programmable as an all-purpose speech synthesis.

Oh btw, in the 16th International Obfuscated C Code Contest (2001), there was a small speech synthesis entry, coupard by Pierre-Philippe Coupard in Utah. It is capable of telling the time with a very muffled voice. If you listen carefully, you can actually hear what it says. I'm not sure it is subject to improvement though.

http://www.de.ioccc.org/years-spoiler.html

and then scroll down to the coupard section which consists of C source, a generic makefile and a hint/instructions.
Anders Carlsson
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

I tried SayIt, and the vocoder, but it's not what I'm looking for.

http://shadowhost.no-ip.com/geckoyamori/robotvoice.wav
This is the voice I'm trying to replicate. I don't know if it was rendered directly with a synthesizer, or if they used some special vocoder.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Thats freom the techno remix of Das Boot (i have the full version on mp3 somewhere)... I dont believe it was a human voice that was synthesized, I believe it to be a proper phenomic speech program. Why not just get AIAB (Amiga in a box) and use the workbench's speek program, you have control over the tone, pitch and speed of the voice, also with some playing you can easily get it to do UNKT DANSEN, ATTENTION WATER PUMPS or DAS BOOOOOT. BUT you have to type it in like it sounds.

ATTENSHUN WORTER POMPZ for example.

I dont remember exactly, but i believe you could do things like control frequency and things by using tags similar to UBB mid text.

DAZ BOOOO[pitch -1]OT for example; and without a space it treats it as one word with no breaks, ie continuous flow.
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

I got AIAB, WinUAE, Kick.rom and Workbench 3.0, but whenever I load Workbench I just get "Software Error - Task held finish ALL disk acticity. Select cancel to reset/debug"
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Matrix (thanks for using my old Amiga handle :roll: ),

The sound in U96's Das Boot wasn't an Amiga if I remember correctly. It's an ST. Also, they failed to understand that the synthesis should be spelt phonetically, that's why it says "Des Boooot". :lol:

BTW, If you want to hear what the Amiga Workbench sound is like, go to my page and download the online CD intro "Prologue". It's a short intro for the sounds on my page and features speech by the Amiga saying stuff. Maybe you can guess what it's saying. :wink:
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

OK, so can you tell me more about this ST?

Got AIAB to work, but can't seem to find the speak program :?
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

@ Raf ..... old name ? - you were matrix in amiga days ?

As for the speech synth, it was included on one of the extras discs of the 1.2 and 1.3 workbench's if I recall.
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Yes. I was the Matrix. Then I ended and reality came. Or something.