Turrican 2 remix found

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I think i better not tell you who he is cos you'd never speak to me again ;)
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Jan Zottmann wrote:Just for the sake of completeness: the "Turrican 2" track by Nebularia was in fact released on the "Chris Hülsbeck In The Mix" album (published by ZYX Music in 2000), so it actually appeared on a Hülsbeck CD in the end.
Damn. It's the one CD I don't have because I was told it's crap. Is it the exact same version? It's not very dancey is it?
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

Yes, it's really the same version - in fact, the ZYX guys didn't even re-record it, but put the mp3 version on the CD which was freely available on the net: if you listen carefully you'll notice compression noises in the mp3. Exactly the same noises are heard on the CD - certainly one of the reasons why the "In The Mix" album is considered to be 'crap' by many fans...
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

MP3-artefacts aren´t artefacts sometimes: the original was already audio-bugged (e.g. "Maria Magdalena" by Sandra ;-)

Explain to me why the frequency range on the "in the mix"-CD is nearly the same like in that Ogg-file, while the MP3 is cut off at 15 KHz.
They cannot have used the MP3 for the CD.
The high frequencies are not an artificial reproduction, they are the same
like in that Ogg-file. The only strange thing is the cut at 21.25 KHz :^)

Frequency analysis:
MP3 from mp3.com, cut off at 15 KHz:
http://www.d418.com/pics/website-version.gif

CD-version:
http://www.d418.com/pics/inthemix_track06.gif

Ogg-version from Tas´ posting:
http://www.d418.com/pics/ogg.gif

Sherlock Sample ;-)
putzi
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

Good work there, Sherlock! 8) I'm well impressed, although it won't change my verdict for "In The Mix" as a whole... personally, I didn't think it was THAT bad after all - but if you consider that it was released by a "real" publisher, got a single release (Giana Sisters) on CD and Vinyl, a limited edition with a second disc (containing a couple of sids and a video only)... well, I just can't think of anything else than a wasted opportunity to release a really good album! Instead, the ZYX fellows decided to put a handful of cheap techno mixes together with stuff that had been freely available on the net for quite a while and filled the remaining space with an uninspired selection of Chris' older works. There's still enough stuff on the CD to amaze someone who has never heard any of the albums by Hülsbeck before - however, if you already own two or more of his CDs (the classic "Turrican" soundtrack or "Shades" for example), you might want to pass this one up.
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

And now, to tell you the truth:
I also thought this was wasted money to buy that CD.
Even more worse is that the ZYX-online-shop is filling my mailbox with announcements for uninspired techno/dance-stuff since the day I ordered the CD. :(
putzi
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

God Putzi!

Yeah a feel for you!

Not my cup of tea atall.

And anyway,yeah well.You know how it is.

God Yeah.

M.A.F
Not to be too pretentious you understand.