Hardwired remix (+ others)

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Hardwired remix (+ others)

Post by DeAdLy_cOoKiE »

Hi,

I've been making music, covering Amiga tunes (some c64 tunes still to do) for quite a while. I've done 'quality' covers of various games/demos such as Hardwired, Alien Breed, Pinball Dreams, Oddyssey, Elekfunk (arte), Living Insanity (arte), Lost Patrol, Leander, Dojo Dan, Monkey Island... etc etc..

I've been thinking of compiling a CD to put online for sale (without too much hassle).. But I'm not sure how it works..

I've uploaded my take on Hardwired.

Side note: notice the similarities with David Whittaker's Sid from the c64 game 'panther'.

Comments are welcome, if friendly... :wink:

Cheers,
DeAdLy_cOoKiE
Last edited by DeAdLy_cOoKiE on 16/06/2003 - 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Count Floyd

Post by Count Floyd »

Ok, since you wanted feedback but don't flame me afterwards it's meant to be friendly :wink:

First, you obviously put a lot of work into this and I really admire anybody who's brave enough to tackle this IMO difficult to remix beast of tune. So much for the bonus points. Now, eventually I'm alone with this opinion but shouldn't a remix improve on the original or make it somewhat different ? That's the point about your remix. You carefully remixed the song, everything sounds as it should and you picked similar Samples/Instruments to the original. BUT! If I had to choose between Jesper Kyd's original and your remix I'd choose Jesper's version. This is because his version is this strange industrial mix which sounds raw, extreme and sometimes unpolished. IMO your one sounds too soft and too little mixing/effects are applied to really make this shine. Just download a newer mp3 by Jesper Kyd to know what I mean for example http://www.jesperkyd.com/Reactor.mp3

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, Hardwired is one of my favorite songs from the old Amiga era so I'm especially pedantic. Btw. 'Global Trash' by JK is quite similar in style and also a good candidate for remixing

PS: Since you already pointed out that Hardwired is a strange 'Panther' remix why not start from the 64er Tune and then adding or mixing bits together with Hardwired along as you go ?
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Post by DeAdLy_cOoKiE »

Count Floyd wrote:First, you obviously put a lot of work into this and I really admire anybody who's brave enough to tackle this IMO difficult to remix beast of tune. So much for the bonus points. Now, eventually I'm alone with this opinion but shouldn't a remix improve on the original or make it somewhat different ?
Yes and no, I have two kinds of filosophies. 1) remix it and remain as faithful to the original as possible, out of respect for the original author/song. 2) improve if neccesary, only if it really sounds good. That said, I have different versions of Hardwired. However this is the final version sort of speak. There are minor alterations (drums), and some more obvious (added choir, reso bass). And I upped the speed somewhat. When I do a remix, it is not such much a goal for me to do a complete overhaul of the original.
Count Floyd wrote:That's the point about your remix. You carefully remixed the song, everything sounds as it should and you picked similar Samples/Instruments to the original. BUT! If I had to choose between Jesper Kyd's original and your remix I'd choose Jesper's version. This is because his version is this strange industrial mix which sounds raw, extreme and sometimes unpolished. IMO your one sounds too soft and too little mixing/effects are applied to really make this shine. Just download a newer mp3 by Jesper Kyd to know what I mean for example http://www.jesperkyd.com/Reactor.mp3
I don't like that song. But I agree, Jespers original does have a unique sound. And you're probably not the only one who prefers the original. It's hard to chose the right samples, making it sound good. That goes for many Amiga (c64) songs, I suppose.
Count Floyd wrote:PS: Since you already pointed out that Hardwired is a strange 'Panther' remix why not start from the 64er Tune and then adding or mixing bits together with Hardwired along as you go ?
Panther is nice, but not nice enough. I thought I'd mention it, because it struck me that he used parts from that song. I really like hardwired, it was hard song to do, especially chosing the right samples, making it sound right. I am limited to the equipment/sounds that I have. As far as the complexity, songs such as Pinball dreams, or Elekfunk are a hell of a lot more complex since no part of it is the same - a lot of subtle touches. In that context, Hardwired is a lot of copying. Personally, I think it sounds awesome, especially with headphones. Needless to say, your comments are well taken. (And I've remixed it a bit) :wink:
Last edited by DeAdLy_cOoKiE on 19/06/2003 - 5:27, edited 1 time in total.
mythoslogos

Trying to make money with other peoples work??

Post by mythoslogos »

Regardless the quality of your remixes - selling them on CD without paying a fee to the original composers is illegal! (Just in case you didn't know this...)
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Post by DeAdLy_cOoKiE »

That much I do know... What I meant was, can I send a CD to a company that puts them online for sale, and get them to arrange the fees (and whatever else) as well..

Anyways,
I've uploaded some more songs you'll like, look for them soon.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> can I send a CD to a company that puts them online for sale, and
> get them to arrange the fees (and whatever else) as well..

Careful: a lot of Amiga tunes aren't in the international copyright
system, which means that any company which put them online
for sale would have to negotiate a separate agreement with the
copyright holder instead of {insert copyright agency of your country here}, who would give permission for mainstream tracks.