New Commodore Website

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

New Commodore Website

Post by soren_ladegaard »

As mentioned in another thread I'm currently working on a website on how to emulate the C64/Amiga etc. using a Macintosh. Things are going a little slower than I expected. As usual "real life" takes up too much time. But I promise the site will be available in april.

As a homage to the old Apple slogan "Think Different" the site is going to be called "Think Commodore". I've just ordered the domain
http://www.thinkcommodore.com

Have a look at the site and watch the 3 minute Quicktime trailer which will give you an idea of what the site is going to be like.

Hopefully all you die-hard Mac & Commodore fans out there can see what reference is being made in the trailer.

Please let me know if you get it ;-)

Otherwise I'll come up with some info later :roll:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Wow this looks very promising! :) Be sure to send me a 100x40 px banner and a one-sentence description, so I can add the site to R64's link list. :)
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Wow this looks very promising! :) Be sure to send me a 100x40 px banner and a one-sentence description, so I can add the site to R64's link list. :)
Thanks for the nice words. I'll create a banner and send it to you.

Cheers.

Søren
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Qtime didn't work for me.. gave an error saying that it didn't have the correct components and they wasn't available from Quicktime.

I guess it's a Macc thing?
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

tas wrote:Qtime didn't work for me.. gave an error saying that it didn't have the correct components and they wasn't available from Quicktime.

I guess it's a Macc thing?
Hmmm....that's odd. It works for me. And I've got positive feedback about the video from people that I'm almost sure use Windows. The movie is encoded in .h264 codec and saved as a .mov file. It works for me in Quicktime 7.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I got a Win pc too, with some half year old quick time.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Does this mean I have to get a Mac now? ;)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Looks like it will be a really nice site that :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Looks promising indeed.

Be sure to include a section on getting the Speedlink Competition Pro USB joystick running with the emulators as well. :D
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

soren_ladegaard wrote:Hmmm....that's odd. It works for me. And I've got positive feedback about the video from people that I'm almost sure use Windows. The movie is encoded in .h264 codec and saved as a .mov file. It works for me in Quicktime 7.
The problem is that some time ago Apple started bundling Quickime and iTunes together (at least on Windows), so now you can't install one without the other. Methinks this keeps a lot of people from installing/upgrading.

I had no problem with installing iTunes 4.7/Quicktime whatever-was-out-at-the-time my PC when I bought an iPod around two years back, and even upgraded it to iTunes 4.9/Quicktime 6.x bundle when the podcast craze picked up speed. But that's as far as I'll go on the PC. In large part because should I ever want to purchase something from the iTunes Music Store the first thing I want to do is strip the DRM from it - and neither JusteTune nor JHymn supports the iTunes 6.0 protocol (yet).

On the Mac I'm running the latest version of both as a) both were installed when I got the box and b) the upgrading process is a lot smoother.
soren_ladegaard
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:The problem is that some time ago Apple started bundling Quickime and iTunes together (at least on Windows), so now you can't install one without the other. Methinks this keeps a lot of people from installing/upgrading..
I think I have to correct you on this :-) It's true that Apple has started to bundle Quicktime and iTunes. But there's still a standalone version of Quicktime available for both Mac OS and Windows. You can get it here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

Cheers.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Yes, Søren is absolutely right. I have Quicktime 7.0.3 standalone running on the Zaw Towers beastie without any problems. It's one of the installers I always carry around with me on my USB pen these days (along with Mozilla Firefox, of course - have to convince everyone I know to use a far better browser don't I? :)
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

YOu could also do a Google for "Quicktime alternative", which is the QT codec without too much frills.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

soren_ladegaard wrote:I think I have to correct you on this :-) It's true that Apple has started to bundle Quicktime and iTunes. But there's still a standalone version of Quicktime available for both Mac OS and Windows.
I stand corrected then. :D

Mind you, I still think they should promote the stand-alone version more. Must grab a copy for my windows box post hate.

@FFRenzy: I tried to get QT Alternative set up a while back, but couldn't get it to run properly. Odd really, since I don't have any problems with RealPlayer Alternative. Oh well.
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Setting up and getting the right look for a webste is not easy at all!! (lots of pain).
I'm not a big Mac fan myself (I have to use them at work) but that said all the best!!
Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:since I don't have any problems with RealPlayer Alternative.
I've been totally boycotting Realplayer since the days you had to download version updates every second week over 28k and 33k connection.

Whereas Quicktime has its place as a video format and is very effective when it comes to streaming content.
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive