Drive!

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Drive!

Post by sumppi »

Ladies and gentlemen, It's time to let that hair grow again and flow free while cruising down the highway! Umm, at least if you're not located in one of the northern countries this time of year. So, here we go:

MP3: http://www.playbynumbers.com/mp3/drive.mp3
HVSC: /VARIOUS/M-R/PRI/Drive.sid by Volker Meitz (PRI)

The guilty ones that got me into this mess this time were Ifadeo (for mentioning hair metal in his review of my 720 degrees) and wazzaw that posted a suggestion on the forum to remix tunes by PRI. I hadn't heard any of PRI's songs earlier, but I decided to take a look and found this.

The result is a bit of early 80's Van Halen (especially Jump) with some Dio, Tarot and Nightwish influences thrown in. The original sid was pretty monotonic so I took a creative freedom to add (and remove) some stuff, as usual.

Let the year 2004 see hard rock rise again!

Sumppi
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Oh yes, very cool. You can't put a foot wrong can you Sumppi?

I've never heard the sid, but I like this remix so much. That chugging guitar isn't done enough these days.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Nice guitar, I like the rough way if playing it. At about 1:00 until 1:04, there are some disturbing dissonances, it seems as if the guitar melody is "biting" the chords. Not sure, but it sounds a little "off".
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Rafael Dyll wrote:Nice guitar, I like the rough way if playing it. At about 1:00 until 1:04, there are some disturbing dissonances, it seems as if the guitar melody is "biting" the chords. Not sure, but it sounds a little "off".
Thanks. The melody does break a bit there, I think I'll take another look on the mix later on when I add some spoken stuff on the quieter part (possibly, if it works).

I hate and love mixing at the same time. It's painstaking procedure, makes my head ache. I also think there are some problems with the mastering (mainly with the multiband compressor that I don't really understand, just use). A true beginner, sigh.

Besides, it's pretty hard to do a mix at night because of the neighbours - I usually create stuff with headphones on. Although, the Tannoy Reveals I use aren't much better either... One day I'll get my Genelecs;)

Sumppi
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Nice! Great guitar playing, good atmosphere.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: Drive!

Post by Waz »

sumppi wrote:The result is a bit of early 80's Van Halen (especially Jump) with some Dio, Tarot and Nightwish influences thrown in.
And very nice it is, too, I have to say. It keeps the spirit of the orignal SID intact and as well as that, gives it a nice hard rock edge that makes you want to listen to it again (much like that 720 degrees remix you did, which I really loved.)

I was surprised you didn't go for Death Metal by PRI as that would have definitely been a very fast hard rock piece for you to do, but a nice surprise for you to take on Drive and do a good job. It's one of PRI's early tunes as well.

Btw, I did a review of Volker Meitz's new CD "Vertikal":

http://www.wazzaw.freeuk.com/

Go to the reviews section and find it there :)
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

It's superb guitar playing definitely - reminds me a little of Machinae Supremacy's work on Great Giana Sisters.

Having heard the original SID before, it's a quality update to the original and a great hard rock track that deserves a lot of credit and a regular place in my playlist. :)

Keep it coming, sumppi :D

Paul
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Even I would like this remix if there wasn´t this strange sound on the left
channel that starts when the guitars kick in... is this a hihat compressed to death?
putzi
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

True beginner? I don't believe you, Sumppi! This is great, both the arrangement and the mixing is very well done, I like this very much, eventhough it "normally would be" too much guitars for me to handle!

If this is a display of what's coming in 2004, I'll love it!

Keep on, it's worth it!
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Nice stuff :)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

yeah, this is a 80s rock-bitch soundtrack, silly synths and great guitars... :wink:

great work, very authentic !! respect !

cheers ifadeo
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Sounds professional, dunno why you call yourself a beginner, Sumppi. :D
All is lost.