License required for ringtones?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
the model apon which the UK ringtone market is structured means that some other body might be able to charge for offering C-64 ringtones for free?
>>>
MCPS. It would then pass the money onto me, and I'd pass it on to the composers. In order for that to happen, MCPS would have to notice the site and actually care. Normally they wouldn't because they wouldn't recognise the ringtones as being stuff they could have jurisdiction over (even though they do).

Chris
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Makke wrote:
Here's the thing. When you tell me that I'm "wrong", it feels a little bit like a politician sitting at the top of society explaining to the floor worker in a factory how his job is done. You've seen it from the top. I've seen it from the bottom. You've seen the money roll in. I've seen the money roll out. So you might understand, we have a very different point of view. :)

Don't get me wrong, the composer of the track should get compensated for ringtones. But when I say that I feel record companies and publishers don't see the PR-potentials, I mean (from my point of view) that they're more interested in the money than the PR. They really do nothing to ease the work for people selling ringtones, in fact they pretty much make it harder. And the fact that you're charged even if you give the ringtones away for free kind of prove my point. No one is making a cash profit from it, but the publishers still want compensation. Hence, they don't care much for the PR.
But Makke, I never said you were wrong in your experiences or perceptions just that that it's not my perception.

Also I resent that I should be sitting "at the top". I feel like sitting at the bottom as most musicians do, being largely exploited by companies.

As for publishers being greedy, as I said earlier this field is governed by law. You are obliged by law to pay royalties and naturally the publishers rake it in.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Lagerfeldt wrote:But Makke, I never said you were wrong in your experiences or perceptions just that that it's not my perception.
Now there's a bit of a generalization...

..that felt flat on its face!
I'm sorry if I interpret that as you saying I was wrong.
Lagerfeldt wrote:Also I resent that I should be sitting "at the top". I feel like sitting at the bottom as most musicians do, being largely exploited by companies.
It's funny how everyone hates the business, but loves the music. :wink: I didn't mean to unsult you, just my point of view...