Enduro Racer

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Shinobi221
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Enduro Racer

Post by Shinobi221 »

Has anyone covered the david whittaker version of Enduro Racer? Or has it been covered but rejected due to copyright reason? :?
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Enduro Racer

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Shinobi221 wrote:Has anyone covered the david whittaker version of Enduro Racer? Or has it been covered but rejected due to copyright reason? :?
Copyright issues mostly come into play on the commercially available CDs (AFAIK this is the reason Press Play On Tape didn't include Outrun on the "Loading, Ready, Run" album). For the the freebie MP3s the general concensus amongst copyright-holders is that they don't mind the remixing.

Rejecting something for publication on R:K:O due to the SID being a cover of an Amiga/Arcade/whatever-tune is an entirely different kettle of fish. I suggest you keep an eye on http://www.AmigaRemix.com and http://Remix.Overclocked.Org for tunes that originated on other platforms.

You don't hear people complaining about not being able to buy running shoes at a pharmacy. Different shops for different goods. Same thing with remixes. :D
Shinobi221
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Shinobi221 »

Many thanks.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on those 2 sites.
The strange thing is the version David Whittaker did is different from the arcade version and is much better. A bit similar to PaperBoy Sid. Same game name but different tune. But may be I'm wrong on this one? :?
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

As a side note, there is more than a handful Commando remixes on RKO, despite it being based on the arcade version by Tamayo Kawamoto. Maybe they were received under old guidelines?
Anders Carlsson
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

carlsson wrote:As a side note, there is more than a handful Commando remixes on RKO, despite it being based on the arcade version by Tamayo Kawamoto. Maybe they were received under old guidelines?
There's always gonna be gray areas. And there's always gonna be people thinking something belongs on the other side of the fence.

In Commandos case I'd say it falls under some sort of grandfather clause. :D
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Commando isn't an exact cover, it more of a extreme remix.
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

Ok. I don't want to sound nosy, but to avoid questions like these, you might want to update the guidelines about SIDs covering well-known tunes (Jarre, Bach, Madonna) to include tunes more known on other systems (e.g. Thanatos/Spectrum, Chuck Rock/Amiga, Out Run/arcade).
Anders Carlsson
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> to include tunes more known on other systems
> (e.g. Thanatos/Spectrum

Thanatos is better known on the C64, I think. Anyway, Jan could tie himself up in knots trying to be specific on the page. Better to treat each case on its merits than to waste valuable time trying to predict problems in advance.

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I have to agree with Chris here, the list of possibilities could be endless, and then people would still find loop holes.
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

Erm.. actually I didn't mean to list all potential covers :wink: , but only a sentence like "songs originating from other systems may fit better on the following remix sites: blah blah" as unlike Bach covers, there may be a suitable Amiga or generic site for those.

Of course, if it is not a generic guideline but decided from case to case, there is nothing to be altered.
Anders Carlsson