Depeche Mode? WRONG!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Depeche Mode? WRONG!

Post by Tonka »

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Depeche Mode? WRONG!

Post by Analog-X64 »

Wrong and Fragile Tension have both been leaked.

I like them both but Fragile Tension has this annoying Distorted Guitar that I think does nothing for the song and shouldnt have been there.

Along with the New album "Sounds of the Universe" there is an awesome Box Set which is designed for FANS check out the details below.

CD 1 - Sounds Of The Universe
1. In Chains
2. Hole To Feed
3. Wrong
4. Fragile Tension
5. Little Soul
6. In Sympathy
7. Peace
8. Come Back
9. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt

CD 2
Bonus tracks
1. Light
2. The Sun And The Moon And The Stars
3. Ghost
4. Esque
5. Oh Well

Remixes
6. Corrupt - Efdemin Remix
7. In Chains - Minilogue's Earth Remix
8. Little Soul - Thomas Fehlmann Flowing Ambient Mix
9. Jezebel - SixToes Remix
10. Perfect - Electronic Periodic Dark Drone Mix
11. Wrong - Caspa Remix

CD 3
Demos
1. Little 15
2. Clean
3. Sweetest Perfection
4. Walking In My Shoes
5. I Feel You
6. Judas
7. Surrender
8. Only When I Lose Myself
9. Nothing's Impossible
10. Corrupt
11. Peace
12. Jezebel
13. Come Back
14. In Chains

DVD
Video
Making The Universe / Film (45.23)
Usual Thing, Try And Get The Question In The Answer (55.12)
Sounds Of The Universe [A Short Film] (10.05)
Wrong (promo video - 3.16)
Studio Sessions:
Corrupt (4.08)
Little Soul (3.52)
Stories Of Old (3.24)
Come Back (6.05)

Audio
Sounds Of The Universe plus bonus tracks in 5.1 surround sound
1. In Chains
2. Hole To Feed
3. Wrong
4. Fragile Tension
5. Little Soul
6. In Sympathy
7. Peace
8. Come Back
9. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt

Bonus tracks
1. Light
2. The Sun And The Moon And The Stars
3. Ghost
4. Esque
5. Oh Well

Packaging / additional content:
2 piece custom made box with foil blocking.
2 x 84 page hardback books:
The first featuring the lyrics to all the songs from the Sounds Of The Universe sessions accompanied by exclusive photography by Anton Corbijn.
The second featuring exclusive and candid studio photography by Daniel Miller, Ben Hillier, Luke Smith and Ferg Peterkin.
2 exclusive enamel badges
1 poster
5 artcards, sealed in a collectors envelope
1 certificate of authenticity
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

You can hear a small portion of PEACE played after wrong here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6zlq1 ... eace_music
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Bloody hell - Analog's a Depeche Mode encyclopedia! ;)

Look like a nice set, though knowing Mute of late it's probably going to cost approx 3 kidney's...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Tonka wrote:Bloody hell - Analog's a Depeche Mode encyclopedia! ;)
Hehehe thats half the story ;)

Tonka wrote:Look like a nice set, though knowing Mute of late it's probably going to cost approx 3 kidney's...
So far the Rumors are $86 U.S.

I would rather the price be lower and not include all those printed cards and posters and such.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

PSB were very good up to 'Introspective'. They lost me when they started doing all that camp dance disco crap.

'Go West' was tragic - I almost cried when I heard it. :twisted: I tend to just listen more to their B-sides thesedays. 'One of the crowd' and 'Don Juan' are still excellent tracks. :)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Tonka: agree... Go West was horrible. From their post 80s stuff, "Home and dry" was nice, as was "I'm with stupid". Most other stuff was fabric softener crap.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Yeah - they didn't totally bomb out (I liked 'So Hard' and 'DJ Culture' as singles), but they definitely lost their edge album-wise after 'Introspective'. Who knows, they may totally shock me with theis new one. :)

I'm also looking forward to the new Human League stuff (if they can find a record label to take them)... :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/oc ... -new-album

Chris? ;)
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

What's with all the 5.1 surround sound mixes for albums? Gah! Waste of bloody time. Much like the Human League, post-Travelogue. No label will sign them either, because it's literally impossible to fit their combined egos and huge, swelling big heads into a boardroom.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I don't know anyone who listens to albums in 5.1. Nobody. Not a single soul.

Ahh, Travelogue. What an effing masterpiece! I'd have a swollen head too if I'd had anything to do with that album. :lol:
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Ooooh - cool promo vid, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsXOcK9_Cw
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Hmm. The more I hear the track, the more it sounds like something 'extra' from Black Celebration. Certainly not a patch on the band's best singles, and a continuation of the 'gap' evident since Wilder quit. As for that video, it's not terrible, but it totally lacks atmosphere. A shame the band's partnership with Corbijn is less total these days—now, that's the guy to make your video.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

CraigG wrote:Hmm. The more I hear the track, the more it sounds like something 'extra' from Black Celebration. Certainly not a patch on the band's best singles, and a continuation of the 'gap' evident since Wilder quit. As for that video, it's not terrible, but it totally lacks atmosphere. A shame the band's partnership with Corbijn is less total these days—now, that's the guy to make your video.
WRONG! (Muhhahahahahaaa)!!!

It has oodles of atmosphere, and it's a great concept. Who is this guy? How did he get there? Why the mask? Who are those three old guys in the middle of the vid? :lol: And don't you think the whole Corbijn thing has run its course now? Sure those vids were great at the time, but I'm not sure I really want to see any more grainy vids of moody DM members aimlessly milling about the place...

I cannot see any connection in lyrical style, melody or even production to anything around the time of Black Celebration. Are you thinking of any track in particular?

Finally, whilst I appreciate what Wilder did for DM, I do believe they went off the boil post Violator anyway (SOFAD being my least played DM album - I almost took it back when I bought it), so I'm not really sure about the 'gap' thing, either.

Alan's Recoil stuff has been constantly poor, safely putting to bed any ideas that he may have been anything more than a handy on-site producer for the band. Creatively, it's always been Martin (though I understand Dave has been co-writing with this album).

I like it.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Tonka wrote:And don't you think the whole Corbijn thing has run its course now?
Maybe, but then he did have some range and some of the concepts were excellent, such as Useless and It's No Good.
I cannot see any connection in lyrical style, melody or even production to anything around the time of Black Celebration. Are you thinking of any track in particular?
Just the way it felt. It just comes across as dated, and yet it lacks any of the punch of the 1990s stuff, thereby placing it alongside that slightly earlier period (at least the dreary element) to my ears. I think Wrong would be a perfectly good album track but as a single it's a bit "bwuh?" for me. Even on Exciter, Dream On was an exciting first thing to hear (a shame the rest didn't match up), and think of other first singles: Personal Jesus, I Feel You, Barrel of a Gun. Gritty, hard-hitting, but also with melody, hooks and atmosphere. Wrong just feels... wrong. I dunno... maybe I've just moved in a different direction and DM is now part of my 'musical past' or something.
Finally, whilst I appreciate what Wilder did for DM, I do believe they went off the boil post Violator anyway (SOFAD being my least played DM album - I almost took it back when I bought it), so I'm not really sure about the 'gap' thing, either.
I guess it's horses for courses. I thought the band consistently improved from BC through to SOFAD, with that album and Violator being the peak. Ultra had its moments, but ultimately disappointed me. I thought Exciter was dreadful, and although PTA as an EP could have been a return to form of sorts, it ran out of steam after Precious, with the exception of Lilian.
Alan's Recoil stuff has been constantly poor, safely putting to bed any ideas that he may have been anything more than a handy on-site producer for the band. Creatively, it's always been Martin
Production, arrangement and engineering is what made Depeche Mode the band it became, and it's pretty clear why Wilder felt so pissed off. Listen to the dreary Harmonium mix of Enjoy the Silence and compare to what it became—a towering pop song. The former is Gore, and the latter is largely Wilder. Since the chords and lyrics didn't change, Wilder got little 'credit' for that, but that's the kind of thing that seemed to happen with that band: Gore would write, Wilder would mould, Gahan would sing and Fletcher would, er, do the accounts and 'manage'. Wilder leaves and the band suddenly has a process that stops inside the band with rough demos. Although producers can fill the void to some extent, that still leaves a missing link between demos and final results. The band's argument during an interview I saw was that Wilder was 'replaced' by a team of people, but that team constantly changes and hasn't produced results that sound particularly amazing to my ears.

As for Wilder's solo stuff, I've not heard anything after Jezebel and Strange Hours, and thought Bloodline was OK. Electro Blues For Bukka White was a standout, though, doing a Moby before the bald one got Play into every advert in existence.
(though I understand Dave has been co-writing with this album).
My understanding is Gahan provides some lyrics, but 'his' songs are the product of a writing team, hence them also being credit to Eigner and Phillpott. I find that a bit odd in a band. After all, it's not like the Cure has a bunch of tracks written by Simon Gallup and some of his mates, rather than just the band itself.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

CraigG wrote: Fletcher would, er, do the accounts and 'manage'.
LOL! Don't forget the all important 'waving arms frantically' at live shows. ;)

*edit* Oh and I love Exciter! It clicks and buzzes away, the songs are strong and still sounds totally fresh to me even now. Very electronic, which is just what I want from a DM album.

I think we may just appreciate different DM styles, TBH.