Discuss: New voting profile feature

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

I don't know if the new feature is necessary for anybody else than the admins? Maybe just as a funny fact. :)

However, I find it interesting that a lot of people's average vote isn't "average". Personally I have a very strict (like Edge Magazine) voting policy. Average doesn't mean bad. It means Average.

But nothing wrong with being easy to please or even hard to please. It all depends on taste.
Apollo2k

Post by Apollo2k »

that was not a fake account :?
Last edited by Apollo2k on 05/10/2008 - 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I never doubted they're your brothers - it' Remix64's policy to remove accounts with a fake <u>name</u>. While DJ Rusty has signed up with his real name, 24seven has not - so how should I have known he's your brother. Thus the latter account has been removed, and DJ Rusty's is still there. Anyway since we already straightened things out in our eMails we should stop that discussioin, as I said 24seven is welcome to sign up again.

;)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Lagerfeldt wrote:I don't know if the new feature is necessary for anybody else than the admins? Maybe just as a funny fact. :)

However, I find it interesting that a lot of people's average vote isn't "average". Personally I have a very strict (like Edge Magazine) voting policy. Average doesn't mean bad. It means Average.
That's basically what the feature's for - people who receive a rating can judge what the voter's average is.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

tony.rc wrote:Thanks Lman!
As usual Remix64 finds a way to resolute a problem. While another C64 forum, I used to frequent just locks the topic only for the conflict to boils over into another thread.

Personally I've always been a little scared of casting a negative vote or an voicing opinion when I disagree with the sound of a RKO remix. Mostly because I don't want to kick the artist in the guts because they usually follow up with a remix that is far better than their last.
There's a real difference between negative criticism

- this remix sucks

and constructive criticism

- maybe a different lead sound/patch/sample would have improved this track

So don't feel scared to voice an opinion, just try to be constructive rather than destructive
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Well said, merman!
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

great feature lman. :D

I thought we were all fans of C64 here : people with 30 years old.

if in 2006 you judge a music as "crap" because it's rap or metal I think you're not open mind and you certainly missed a thing in the music evolution. :shock:
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Well, I think you are open to say that rap or metal is crap if you think so BUT that's not what a review at this place asks of you. Even if you dislike rap or metal or whatever, the reviewed remix may excel with technique, composition or a new point of view. Or it's so funny, you crap your pants.

As I am quite untalented, I can't give reviews which go into details on the technical side of making music. I can solely trust on a 'feeling' I have with the remix. Discussions like this convinced me to stop on reviewing remixes. And I'm not sure about rating. I was quite amazed by my rko rating ratio.
All is lost.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

i like it, nice feature.

as for good comments bad comments.. i take them as they come even the funny ones that make no sense everyone (on a personal level i dont expect people to take the same stance as me) is entitled to his opinion whether he just wants to spout obsenity at me or i have to request they dont do that worshipping nonsence at my feet... its all valid.

i'll take whatever information i can get out of every single comment and reflect on it and then throw it all away when writing the next remix.. because thats the "next" remix and not me going back to improve the old tune.. hope that made sense.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Lagerfeldt wrote:However, I find it interesting that a lot of people's average vote isn't "average". Personally I have a very strict (like Edge Magazine) voting policy. Average doesn't mean bad. It means Average.
But that comes down to how you vote. My "average" rating is the "yellow" smiley (so, "4 out of 6"), but that's because I only rate stuff I download, and I don't download stuff that sounds like crap from the clips on RKO. I'm sure plenty of others are in the same boat.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

if in 2006 you judge a music as "crap" because it's rap or metal I think you're not open mind and you certainly missed a thing in the music evolution.
If rap is music evolution, then i feel sorry for the state music is in today. :)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Dumper wrote:
if in 2006 you judge a music as "crap" because it's rap or metal I think you're not open mind and you certainly missed a thing in the music evolution.
If rap is music evolution, then i feel sorry for the state music is in today. :)
Well, if rap means "vocals with rhythm being much more important than melody" it's of course evolution (in a positive sense).
Rhythm and timing was neglected in music for a very long time. Rap, Hip-Hop, Techno, Drum'n'bass etc etc are all the result of the 80ties production styles with rhythm being made by machines for the first time in music history. And in the end even handmade music has improved a lot thanks to those influences.
You can in fact feel sorry for the state of the music industry today. :)
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

Dumper wrote:
review the music with which you have affinities. it's ridiculous to review a music if you don't like the style. jazz magazine don't have metal reviewers...lol

if you're guitarist you will review a Tama or a Sonor as bad because you're not drumer ?

however you can "vote and shout", but doing a "review" in a style of music you don't like can't be croyable.
:wink:
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Dumper wrote:
Hmmm... I'm not strictly a rap/hip-hop fan, but as far as evolution within MAINSTREAM music, I think it is the most constantly evolving... This is probably because it is currently THE most popular worldwide music style and loads of people are doing it so artists have to dig deep to sound different, and many do.

In the last few years artists such as Jay Z, Missy Elliot and Snoop Dogg have really pushed the boundaries of conventional hip-hop and rap with their production techniques and rhyming styles.

Just my humble opinion :)

Tonka