New life in the mainstream for SID?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

New life in the mainstream for SID?

Post by naughtyboy »

Recently I have been given the opportunity to score a Disney short! I am also currently scoring a multi-platform multi-player game for nokia!

BOTH are being shot with a large dose of pure SID! Not only that but 80% of the instrumentation are 8 bit computers and consoles like Nintendo NES, Apple II, Game Boy, etc. However, the SID is usually the main lead or a highlighted instrument in every track I am crafting for these two tremendous projects! Two mainstream projects that thousands, possibly millions, will be exposed to!

I'll keep you all posted on the release of these two items! Im very proud to finally be able to give something back to the c64 music scene.

Cheers,
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Hey, that's great news Seth! Well done.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Is there already info about the Disney project?
Possibly at imdb?
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by naughtyboy »

http://imdb.com/name/nm0841923/

This is one of the two creators...nothing posted yet...
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

fairly odd parents.. so this shorts going to be pretty funny then :)

good luck with it :)
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Great, looking forward to hearing this very much.
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

I know suprised that no one has mentioned that you will have to pay off the composers to use their SIDs.

Or are you doing your own SID tunes?
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Congrats, Seth! :)
All is lost.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

tony.rc wrote:I know suprised that no one has mentioned that you will have to pay off the composers to use their SIDs.

Seth's an original :) And we're already talking about covers he does do.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Chris Abbott wrote:
tony.rc wrote:I know suprised that no one has mentioned that you will have to pay off the composers to use their SIDs.

Chris
Firstly, congrats to Seth. I loved the last 8BW CD and can't wait to hear what new stuff you've come up with :)

Secondly, regarding royalties (Chris). Are the payment of sample royalties still dictated by the duration of the sample? I seem to remember that the sample has to be proven to be the main feature point of the song before an artist gets royalties (I think it was five seconds or over)?...

What if Seth (as an example) made a track using the Arkanoid drum set, but nothing else Arkanoid related, would Galway require payment?

Just a thought - probably a grey area, I would imagine...

Tonka

EDIT: BTW, Liam Howlett used the Arkanoid drums in the last Prodigy album. Just thought I'd snitch on him here... ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Tonka wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:

Chris
Firstly, congrats to Seth. I loved the last 8BW CD and can't wait to hear what new stuff you've come up with :)

Secondly, regarding royalties (Chris). Are the payment of sample royalties still dictated by the duration of the sample? I seem to remember that the sample has to be proven to be the main feature point of the song before an artist gets royalties (I think it was five seconds or over)?...

What if Seth (as an example) made a track using the Arkanoid drum set, but nothing else Arkanoid related, would Galway require payment?

Just a thought - probably a grey area, I would imagine...

Tonka

EDIT: BTW, Liam Howlett used the Arkanoid drums in the last Prodigy album. Just thought I'd snitch on him here... ;)
It's an extreme gray area. There's no table of "how much you have to pay per second", it's a question of "who has the biggest lawyers". In the case of the Arkanoid drums (sounds like an Agatha Christie!), if he's using them out of context, then I don't think it's actionable, although distinctiveness of sample would probably play a part.

In general, if someone used the Arkanoid drum _track_, then Galway would need payment (if it was commercial). If it was the Arkanoid drum noises playing something different, then no. Besides which, Quadrasid does those, so it would be impossible to prove he got them from the SID. Because he probably just used Quadrasid.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Tonka wrote:I seem to remember that the sample has to be proven to be the main feature point of the song before an artist gets royalties (I think it was five seconds or over)?...
Hmm. In general if it's recognisable (which includes an element of distinctiveness) then it's probably actionable, regardless of length. There are no set rules.

Chris
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

on the other side, is nice to know Prodigy are using something born from my wicked mind :>
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

DHS wrote:on the other side, is nice to know Prodigy are using something born from my wicked mind :>
U mean they sampled Quote64? ;)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by naughtyboy »

Im doing oonly 100% original SIDs!

-Seth :)