This is TOTALLY off topic but I don't know who I should ask

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

This is TOTALLY off topic but I don't know who I should ask

Post by Yoshi »

I need a VGA sender and receiver.
Something that you plug into the graphics card that sends the signals to a receiver plugged into the display.

I only find VGA-to-TV transmitters and vice versa.. Nothing that allows you to send from the card to the display.

I hate cables, and my VGA cable needs to be 7 meters long...

Clues? Ideas? Anything..?
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Bad idea. Technically very difficult. A VGA-cable uses an analogue bandwidth of more than 200MHz in three channels. Bloody expensive to make a radio link that handles 600MHz information.

TV is ok, it's about 6MHz of analogue bandwidth, which is the reason for poorer quality! That is a technically feasible radio link, but still a rather expensive one!

Compare with a coordless phone that uses a 0.004 MHz bandwith! :) Or a radio station with its 0.015MHz! Piece of cake!

So I'll guess it's better if you get yourself a coordless mouse and keyboard instead!
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Yoshi »

I found this little thing: http://www.rimax.net/products.asp?id=22
It says there that it runs on 2.4GHz...? Whatever that means, I don't know much about radiotransmissions.
It seems like it only works with composite signal anyway.

My keyboard and mouse are cordless, thank god for that.
The problem is that my computer is places across the room between my stereosystem and TV, because most cables run between these components. It's just the VGA-cable that needs to go all the way to the other side where I sit. I also would like to be able to move the display around sometimes, just plug in the powercord and use it from wherever I want.
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Yoshi wrote:I found this little thing: http://www.rimax.net/products.asp?id=22
Hmmm... isn't that still a VGA-TO-TV transmitter, wich is exactly what you didn't want? :?:
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
-------------------------------------------------------
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Yoshi »

It transmits composite signal only, not VGA at all, I just wondered what that 2,4GHz means.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

that's just the frequency it operates on to transmit data like a wireless lan card...
All is lost.
hikari
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by hikari »

I don't know about radio based transmission for VGA signals, but I know there's some kit about which let you send it over a piece of Cat5 instead. I used one in a factory once to do an echo of a SCADA system in another part of the factory - it was working fine over about 300' of Cat5e. They were fairly expensive though iirc - they're actually designed for remote control of PCs over long distances.
hikari aka chris aka other things
http://www.hikari.org.uk/