Jam together over the Internet

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

beyond wrote:I would say, in terms of jamming, latency must not exceed 10 milliseconds. And if this is not a constant latency it must be impossible to play to/intolerable to listen to :)
That's what I thought too, but somehow that can be done pretty nicely with 100ms. It's not perfect, but it's useful and pretty fun overall. I don't know about the implementation though.

Sumppi
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

My Guitar Rig setup has a latency of 4 ms what is easily noticable during playing. I think - similar to beyond - that real jamming for at least semi-professional recording demands will begin around a lag of under 10 ms. Until this is possible it's only a "one side performing/other side recording and directing" solution.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Romeo Knight wrote:My Guitar Rig setup has a latency of 4 ms what is easily noticable during playing. I think - similar to beyond - that real jamming for at least semi-professional recording demands will begin around a lag of under 10 ms. Until this is possible it's only a "one side performing/other side recording and directing" solution.
Well, all I can say that I used it at a little under 100ms to New York and around 70ms to London and it worked pretty ok after I got used to it. :)

As for the use, it's just MIDI anyway, you can always quantise it ;)

Sumppi
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

You may be right that it's to a large amount a matter of getting used to but in the end we're talking about music and people don't like to match their playing to some technical restrictions - they like it the other way around. And especially regarding timing and holding a beat it's pretty necessary that it is this way. IMO. :)
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Romeo Knight wrote:You may be right that it's to a large amount a matter of getting used to but in the end we're talking about music and people don't like to match their playing to some technical restrictions - they like it the other way around. And especially regarding timing and holding a beat it's pretty necessary that it is this way. IMO. :)
I'm just ordering a MIDI equipped guitar right now, we have to try this sometime when the software matures a bit more. It's still in (early) beta, but IMHO promising anyway :)

Sumppi
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

sumppi wrote:I'm just ordering a MIDI equipped guitar right now, we have to try this sometime when the software matures a bit more. It's still in (early) beta, but IMHO promising anyway :)
Sumppi
Which one? Wouldn't be this Roland MIDI-Pickup easier or cheaper or whatever? (Maybe this would be an option for me, too)
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Romeo Knight wrote:Which one? Wouldn't be this Roland MIDI-Pickup easier or cheaper or whatever? (Maybe this would be an option for me, too)
The Roland pickup is indeed a lot cheaper, but I don't like the prospect of having extra wired and bits in the guitar. Integrated solution is a lot better for possible live playing etc.

I'm considering the Brian Moore iGuitar 81.13 which is the cheapest (but still offering tolerable quality) built-in 13-pin solution I've seen: http://www.thomann.de/thoiw3_artikel-178351.html - I tried it last year in New York and it worked pretty nicely. It requires the MIDI interface too, but I haven't yet decided on the Roland GR20 (with synth) or the Roland GI20 plain MIDI interface. I have to do some researching first to figure out the differences in studio and live use.

This is quite hard actually, I've used to think only the studio aspect but now that I have a band to think about I have to take the possible live and rehearsal usage into account. That's actually partly why I'm getting the MIDI guitar, I'll get the Sibelius G7 software to produce guitar tabs quicker for the other guitarist and bassist to learn etc.

Sumppi
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

sumppi wrote:http://www.thomann.de/thoiw3_artikel-178351.html - I tried it last year in New York and it worked pretty nicely.
Cool, I didn't know Thomann has a finnish site. :)

This is quite hard actually, I've used to think only the studio aspect but now that I have a band to think about I have to take the possible live and rehearsal usage into account.
Ah, I see.
What kind of music is this that you might use a MIDI guitar on stage?
Quite courageous, as I'm used to avoid as much technical equipment on stage as possible (f*ck all those f*cking cables and plugs!)
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Romeo Knight wrote: Cool, I didn't know Thomann has a finnish site. :)
Yeah, it's pretty popular in here actually. Popular enough to be a real threat to the local resellers at least, they even have some pretty knowledgeable finnish speaking staff there. I'd prefer local shops but Thomann beats pretty much every local shop in service, price and selection.
Romeo Knight wrote:What kind of music is this that you might use a MIDI guitar on stage? Quite courageous, as I'm used to avoid as much technical equipment on stage as possible (f*ck all those f*cking cables and plugs!)
Yeah, I haven't quite accepted the live idea myself either ;) Just thinking about using it for some synth patches etc, we play mostly guitar oriented rock but the need for live use might arise one day. But as for now, the studio use and notation help is the main use for that.

Also, when compared to the add-on Roland stuff the built-in MIDI pickups should have better tracking of the played notes. As for the actual guitar, it doesn't hurt to have the piezo for some sort-of acoustic live use. I actually just ordered the Les Paulish model instead of the cheapest one, the LP has mahogany body which is always a bonus. This one: http://www.thomann.de/thoiw3_artikel-178350.html

Sumppi
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Matrix wrote:I think SID80's could use this to major effect for more practice time instead of having a rather unfair 1 days run through before a performance.
Lol - but can you imagine how out of time we'd be trying to cope with that latency... I mean.. we'd prolly think there was a latency live too, and try and compensate ;)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

sumppi wrote:I actually just ordered the Les Paulish model instead of the cheapest one, the LP has mahogany body which is always a bonus. This one: http://www.thomann.de/thoiw3_artikel-178350.html
And it looks better,too. :wink:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

madfiddler wrote:
Matrix wrote:we'd prolly think there was a latency live too, and try and compensate ;)
Ah, so you've played with {insert musician here who you wish to lightheartedly criticise while not really meaning it}

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Romeo Knight wrote: And it looks better,too. :wink:
True, even if the headstock is a bit weird for LP style guitar :)

Had to change the color though, Thomann didn't have the gray in stock so I changed it to cinnamon. Not too bad either IMHO.

Sumppi
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Chris Abbott wrote:
madfiddler wrote:
Matrix wrote:we'd prolly think there was a latency live too, and try and compensate ;)
Ah, so you've played with {insert musician here who you wish to lightheartedly criticise while not really meaning it}

Chris
You mean Andreas? nah.. is timing was almost ok at the last gig ;) ;) ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

HEY !! "Latency Live" ... Thats Doable !!! :lol: