Hey! help me out ok!? :O)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Hey! help me out ok!? :O)

Post by Razmo »

Hi Everyone! :)

I'm currently doing a remix of Rob Hubbards Tarzan, and then i believe that I read in the "Stills", that it is just a port of the original theme from the movie... Am I correct in this? ... The reason I'm asking is, that the RKO states that remixes of tunes that are in themselves a cover, will not be allowed, and I really don't want to waste my time on this one anymore, if it will just get ditched! :(

The tune I'm doing will also feature some material of my own, so it's definitely not just a cover of the original! 8)

And lastly: HELLO! to all of you! ... I'm not dead yet! :wink:

Regards, Razmo.
Boz
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Hey! help me out ok!? :O)

Post by Boz »

razmo wrote:Hi Everyone! :)

I'm currently doing a remix of Rob Hubbards Tarzan, and then i believe that I read in the "Stills", that it is just a port of the original theme from the movie... Am I correct in this? ... The reason I'm asking is, that the RKO states that remixes of tunes that are in themselves a cover, will not be allowed, and I really don't want to waste my time on this one anymore, if it will just get ditched! :(
Hi Razmo,

It's the theme tune to a 70s TV series of Tarzan. I forget the actor's name, but it was one of those Americanized cheesy series that I used to watch once a week when I was very young!

So yes, it's Rob's cover of a TV series theme.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

And by the way!

Anybody know where I can find a sample of that famous Tarzan Yell from the 60's movie!? .. I've found one in lousy 11Khz, which sounds... well.... CHEASY! :P ... just GOT to have that yell there! 8)

Regards, Razmo.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Thanx Boz! .... well, now I'm just more curious, as if this remix would be ditched! :? ... It's nothing like the 70's or hubbard's version... just the melodyline used in a rather trancey tune actually.... HEY! any of you judges at RKO!!!??? would such a remix get ditched!? :)

Regards, Razmo.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I haven't judged anything at RKO for a while, but my first thought was not to ditch it for being a cover, in that the source material is so obscure: though since the name of the game is the same as the name of the original source material, there might be possible licencing problems (plus Tarzan is a trademark). So, I'd probably have advised it not be put up, actually.

Chris
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Hmmm..... thanx Chris! :( ... maybe I should just forget about it... a bit of a shame, since I've got quite a stirr from friends about this one, saying it's a darn good one.... but hey! maybe I will just finish it, and put a link to it from here... Afterall, I heard the theme from Hubbard the first time, and to me, it's HUBBARD! :P ...

Honestly I'm sad that it's not possible to do these remixes just because of this, as this also leave out another tune I had in mind, namely the Rasputin songs... DARN! :x ... sad that copyright owners are this greedy, when it's a non-profit thing...

Well.. maybe I should finnish those other ones I've shelved (Mutants & R1D1) :roll:

Regards, Razmo.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

No, Rasputin would be fine. Probably not RKO-able, but fine from a legal point of view.

It's more the trademark thing I'm a bit worried about.

> sad that copyright owners are this greedy
Not necessarily greedy (though many are), but sometimes just protective. The problem is actually granting permission to do stuff for free might grant unexpected legal rights that they didn't want to grant: not everyone who does stuff for free has pure motives: sometimes it's just pure self-advertising based on the back of others' hard work. Or maybe they wanted to make money, but can't give it away. Or something.

I'm not saying that's what you're doing (in the C64 community we all have much purer motives, I expect ;-) ), just that the picture isn't all "bad nasty corporations, heroic little plucky musician". The picture is a little bit more complex and subtle than that. People individually can be just as greedy and venal as the worst corporations, they just cause their damage on a smaller human scale.

And don't forget this is all pre-emptive. In all probability nothing would happen if Tarzan was uploaded, since the problem is generally too small-scale for anyone to care about. The trademark lawyers in my experience tend to be much more active than the copyright ones, though trademark and copyright infringement often go hand-in-hand (but are separate transgressions).

Chris
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

Yo Razmo,

Being a big fan of your TERRA CRESTA remix all I can say is DON'T ABANDON TARZAN!! Link to it here and it will snapped up by an appreciative audience. (Plus we'll play it on the Z-Show of course). Stick with it dude!
:)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Hey! help me out ok!? :O)

Post by Slaygon »

Boz wrote:So yes, it's Rob's cover of a TV series theme.
Duh.

SIDFind is broken! This info is actually in its database, but somehow it feels like not displaying it when searching...

Shall fix as soon as I get around to it. ;)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Hi again guys! :D

Well.... guess I'll just go and ask Tarzan himself then! :P

I'll stick with the Tarzan remix! ... don't worry Kenz! :wink: ...

Sometimes I just find the line between stealing and inspiration in music bussiness quite confusing! :? ... Those melodies from the C64 just happen to be the foundation of my entire "music career"... they mean a lot to me, so when I take those pieces and remold them, I do it NOT for gaining credit on the authors behalf, but to "glorify" his creation in another way... MY way! ... When I listen to my own remixes, I still honor the original composers.... I find that these tunes deserve to be taken into the new millenium! ... I want other people to UNDERSTAND, that the melody lines from that time has INCREDIBLE potential even today! ... that's what I want from this! ... alright! of course I feel good, when people like my stuff... surely! ... but if that was what I'd want only, then why even bother making these remixes!? ... I could as well just make my own compositions! (and I do!)... no! there is a deeper goal for me making these remixes than just "fame-stealing".

So the bussiness can call it stealing if they want to, I call it inspiration as long as profit is not taken of it! ... that's MY view on things, and will never change...

Besides, I recall a commercial band not so many years ago, who made a techno-like piece of music, that is SO close to the Tarzan theme, that I recognized it emediately! Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of either the band or the tune (the title was NOT anything that refered to Tarzan in ANY way!)... Maybe someone remember this tune? Think it was a german band...

Regards, Jess.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Oh, and to you Chris:

I don't understand why Rasputin would be allowed?... It holds nothing but small riffs from a lot of russian folk music according to the stills!?... Is this because russian folk music has no copyrights!?

Anyways, what are we honoring on the C64 remix scene!? ... the music artists, or the C64 games and era itself!? ... When I hear the Tarzan tune, I think me sitting in front of the C64 in the 80's ripping away anything Rob made on the C64... I see myself gambling away! ... I remember my mom screaming to turn the speakers down! I..... *sigh* :D .... In no way do I see a black and white bad series of tarzan running on the telly!

What do we really honor when we make those remixes!?

Regards, Razmo.
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Well spoken, razmo.
Never forgit ya rootz... :wink:
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

razmo wrote:And by the way!

Anybody know where I can find a sample of that famous Tarzan Yell from the 60's movie!? .. I've found one in lousy 11Khz, which sounds... well.... CHEASY! :P ... just GOT to have that yell there!.
I used it years ago in an Amiga mod called "Just a beat". But I don't think the sample I used was far better than 11 kHz too. AFAIR I took it from an old 80ties "Boogie Boys" album but I'm not really sure anymore.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I don't understand why Rasputin would be allowed?...
Rasputin is fine legally, but I think it might fail the RKO guidelines. That's all I'm saying...

And let me reiterate I wasn't saying that you, Razmo, have anything other than the best creative motives, but that there's a lot of musicians out there who are at least as greedy as the companies in some way or other.

<<<
still honor the original composers.... I find that these tunes deserve to be taken into the new millenium! ... I want other people to UNDERSTAND, that the melody lines from that time has INCREDIBLE potential even today!
>>>
I've said exactly the same thing many times :)

Chris
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Hi again Chris! :)

Just want to make sure that you understand, that I was not thinking that you thought of me as a "greedy" person because of what you wrote in your reply... it was just in general that I replied as I did, so that everyone reading this, willl know for sure MY motives for remixing C64 tunes... simple as that! :D