Copyright problem with Citex: the Sewers?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
DaveT
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Copyright problem with Citex: the Sewers?

Post by DaveT »

Far from me to point out illegal stuff as it's a very good remix. What surprises me is that the original tune seems to be ripping off Kintaro's work (or is it Vangelis)?
I just thought that RKO didn't accept remixes that featured such qualities... Or am I totally off centre here?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

it's Ryuichi Sakamoto.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
DaveT
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by DaveT »

As you realised by now, I'm TERRIBLE with names...
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Copyright problem with Citex: the Sewers?

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

DaveT wrote:Far from me to point out illegal stuff as it's a very good remix. What surprises me is that the original tune seems to be ripping off Kintaro's work (or is it Vangelis)?
I just thought that RKO didn't accept remixes that featured such qualities... Or am I totally off centre here?
As with a lot of other things in life the world isn't just black or white - there's grey areas everywhere.

Where some people hear Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" others hear Matt Gray's "Last Ninja". So where to draw the line?

On RKO the deciding factor is whether the orignal tune is more known than the SID. So, for example, while you can't expect to get a remake of Mark Cooksey's "Elite Loader" (covering "Living on video" by Trans-X) or Yie Ar Kung Fu subtune #19 ("Magnetic Fields, part 4" by Jean Michel Jarre) published on RKO, a remix of Neil Brennan's "The Hobbit" was put online earlier - even though the SID covers "Beep Beep" - a 1958 track by The Playmates.