Techie question (not music related)

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Techie question (not music related)

Post by Kenz »

This is a tad off-topic for a music remix board (sorry!) but I know some of you creative people out there like to tickle pixels - so I have a question regarding graphics.

Is there a good program to remove noise on STILL video images (as in a picture grabbed from the TV)? I've had a fiddle with PhotoShop and the dust/despeckle filter and median thingy don't do much (the picture goes slightly less grainy but you lose some of the sharpness). Is there a 'definitive' picture noise removal proggie - or does anyone have any tips for cleaning up pics? Ta.
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

Blimey, after googling around I found this on a site. I'd love to know what program this guy uses! (I've asked him via email).

Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

interesting ! i use an old version of paint shop pro but quality is still poor. don't forget to post what that guy used to despeckle that frame. :)
All is lost.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

For still pictures i don't know, but for movies (avi, mpegs, and so on) there are plenty of (free) noise removers for VirtualDub and so on, and most of them work bidirectionally in time.

You could use them, then grab the frames you need from the final movie.

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Kenz

If you do find out which program/plug-in he used can you please post it - the results were certainly better than what I achieve with PSP8.

Cheers
Tomsk
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

No luck so far but thanx for the replies guys. The noise removal from video was a good idea but I've already done all the still grabs.

I'll keep ya posted. :)